Air Conditioning

Old 05-02-04, 12:41 PM
Air Conditioning

I have a 1986 f150 that came with factory air conditioning. For whatever reason the air conditioning has not worked since long before I owned the truck. I have started gathering a few basic parts such as an orfice tube accumulator, retrofit kit. I am also planning on reworking the compressor to put in new gaskets and a shaft seal. Also I have already gotten new o rings. My Question is what is the probabilty that the condensor or evaportor coils could go bad just sitting there. The system has been sealed for years. I am thinking it has been at least 8 years since it last worked. I do not know what the reason it was intially stopped for. Can anybody offer any suggestions?
Thankyou,
Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-04, 02:03 PM
You, and your eyes, are going to be the best judge of that. If you are opening the system and rebuilding the compressor then you will be able to see if there are any contaminants in there. There could easily be some rust in there and if that is the case, I would reccomend replacing all of the components. One thing that you should understand is that the old R12 refrigerant is much more dense than the new R134a refrigerant. having said this, the lines dont hold the R134a as well as it did the R12 and most times you will need to replace the lines with updated lines anyway. This can be pricey, but well worth the trouble free operation once done correctly.
Good Luck,
Billy

Old 05-02-04, 02:23 PM
Smile Thankyou

Thanks for the quick reply, I do appreciate it.

Old 05-02-04, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't jump to so many conclusions here. First I'd put some freon in there and find out exactly what is wrong with the system, (assuming the compressor is not seized). I would avoid taking that compressor apart unless you absolutely have to and even them I would opt for a new compressor. Unless you are a HIGHLY experienced A/C tech and posess all the special tools for that repair, I'd stay away from it. That's opening a can or worms in most cases. There's a possibility of that having the notorious "black death" with that system. If it has no freon in it now, take out the O-tube and inspect it. If you see black crud all over it, then just go order a new (definately NOT reman)compressor, condenser and accumulator and flush the system thoroughly before assembly. Be sure to replace the oil. I'd really think twice about retrofitting also. It really doesn't work out very well on those systems. If you have no leaks, R12 is the way to go.

Old 05-03-04, 03:45 AM
I have to agree that staying with R12 is the best way, but if things go exactly as the government are planning R12 will be no more in 2006. So unfortunately on older cars we are going to have no choice but to retrofit them.

Old 05-03-04, 02:27 PM
It's still readily available around here. I think the cars are going to die before the supply dries up. They're getting older and older.