harmonic balancers - what and how

Old 05-03-04, 06:17 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
harmonic balancers - what and how

same as my last few posts. . . 3.3l v6 1993 cutlas ciera, with 137k on it.

when the engine is idling, I hear a rapping noise coming from the engine. I removed the serpentine belt, to rule out the alternator, AC compress, power steering, and tensoiner. noise sounds like a rapid hammer tapping. if I rev the engine a little bit the tapping stops, until it gets back to just idling.

I've removed the harmonic balancer, but I'm not sure how to tell if it's gone south. The key in the crank snout looks solid. I did notice that there is an inner and outer part to the balancer, and it takes quite a bit of force, but I can move the inner part independently of the outter ring (where the grooves for the belt go (only 5-10mm in either direction). Should the inner part be able to move independently of the outer ring, or should the rubber gasket keep it in a fixed position?

Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Old 05-03-04, 06:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joatmon
Should the inner part be able to move independently of the outer ring, or should the rubber gasket keep it in a fixed position?

Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?
Nope, you found your problem. The outer ring should be firmly connected to the inner by rubber. That's what goes wrong with them. The rubber breaks. Replace that and you should be OK. Be careful if it has a crank sensor mounted behind it. I can't remember if the 3.3 has one there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: