GMC Pick'em up Truck Exhaust

Old 05-03-04, 07:08 AM
GMC Pick'em up Truck Exhaust

hi all,

My '91 GMC Sonoma pick up has an exhaust leak somewhere near the engine compartment. When I had it looked at, all I could understand from the fellow was something about the exhaust manifold and a "donut" was leaking (the mechanic is foreign and difficult to understand). I'm trying to find out what this "donut" is and how difficult it would be to replace on my own.
I've found an "exhaust seal ring" on the web and I'm wondering if that's what is commonly known as a donut in shop talk?
And I'm assuming this ring produces a seal between the exhaust manifold and the rest of the exhaust system where they're bolted together?
The mechanic did mention that it was the "donut" on the drivers side. Would it be a good idea (and easier installation) if I replace both "donuts"?
thanks
any comments appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-04, 08:11 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
yes, the exhaust seal ring is commonly called the donut. the hardest part of the job is getting the bolts out, as they can easily break on something of this age. if you do it yourself, spray the threads down with a good rust penetrant for a few hours before you attempt anything, then tap on the bolts with a hammer a few times hoping to break the rust loose.

if the bolts break, you're in for a bit of work then.