Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1989 Mazda 929

Visiting Guest

05-04-04, 08:16 AM   #1  
DRLM001
1989 Mazda 929

Hi there.I have a problem with the idle.The car is a 18 valve v6 with apx.280k on it.The problem is when you start it when it is cold or sat for any length of time it "surges" untill it warms up.up and down up and down it could drive you nutts!!!lol Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-09-04, 12:13 AM   #2  
poppalizerd
check your compression with a tester by the compression specs see if there off with a tester
could be intake manifold air leak that seals its self when its hot then it runs better
emissions to faulty fuel pump getting ready too go
sounds like a faulty fuel pump or leak not really by warming up but by running a while it has happend

you just might want to have a tune up
or someone may give you better advice
could be a stupid little thing

i bet a major tune up would help your prob

05-09-04, 03:07 AM   #3  
Posted By: poppalizerd could be intake manifold air leak that seals its self when its hot then it runs better
Vacuum leaks don't seal themselves

Posted By: poppalizerd emissions to faulty fuel pump getting ready too go
sounds like a faulty fuel pump or leak not really by warming up but by running a while it has happend
No it hasn't

Posted By: poppalizerd i bet a major tune up would help your prob
I bet it doesn't

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A vacuum leak somewhere is the likely culprit. It could be internal in a decel valve if it has one. The decel valve could be faulty and cause that. Check it real good for external leaks first. Clean the throttle body and throttle plate if you haven't already done that.

Visiting Guest

05-09-04, 11:14 PM   #4  
poppalizerd
a leaking gasket i was talking about leak sealing up by heat desi ive seen them seal up after temp heats up not threw a vac line lol threw gaskets you said same thing i said basically
maybe i should of typed it out more clearly my bad
just giving a opinion i know some stuff mostly performance
not mechanics

05-10-04, 02:32 AM   #5  
Posted By: poppalizerd a leaking gasket i was talking about leak sealing up by heat
No, a gasket will not seal up by heat. It merely has less effect on a warm engine than a cold engine.

Search this Thread