84 Tempo 2.3l

Old 05-04-04, 02:46 PM
84 Tempo 2.3l

Any ideas....

Overhauled this engine, ran it for about 8K or so. It began making a loud squeeling noise, metal on metal. In the process of trying to figure out what the heck was causing all the noise, the tranny started leaking fluid from the front seal.
So much for trying to find problem.
Pulled engine and tranny and began the process of looking to see what was going on.
Found that the thrust bearing had been rubbing on the crank. Bad enough to wear a 1/4" goove in the crank.

Now I have two questions: 1) What would cause this? and 2) The seal and all looks good on the tranny. Do you think the crank moving forward 1/4" cause the front seal to leak?
Ok, three questions. 3) Should I replace the front seal and bearing of the tranny or do you think they will be ok?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-04, 04:33 PM
I think you need to check for a ballooned converter or the trans input shaft moved forward from the oil pump in the trans.I find it hard to believe the thrust bearing wore the crank that bad.Are you sure you overhauled this engine properly,connecting rods facing the right way etc.?

Old 05-04-04, 04:35 PM
I failed to mention repairing this car will most likely exceed its value by quite a bit.

Old 05-06-04, 09:05 AM
Yes, I know the repairs will cost more than the worth of the car. Hell, new tires are pushing that limit!

I am trying to find out what went wrong. So far I haven't been able to find anything. All the connecting rods were correct. The only thing I haven't been able to varify is if the tranny pump rod may have not been seated all the way and placed pressure on the crank.
I would like to know what caused it, as I will be going back together with it and don't want to make the same mistake.

As far as cost goes, it is hard to put a value on walking or riding, if the ride is paid for and the only cost is the maintenance of the vehicle. I do most of all my own work, so that cuts down on the maintenance cost (sometimes it adds to it). Besides, I get to learn things that I wouldn't otherwise. If worst comes to worst, I will make a go cart out of it and just have some fun with it.

Thanks for your input, I know it is hard to troubleshoot from behind the computer screen. Just thought maybe there was someone out there that had this problem before and they would be able to tell me what had been the cause, for them.

Old 05-16-04, 07:28 PM
Smile

You can find all the answers to your problems in this great website: www.tempotopaz.com

Old 05-17-04, 08:01 AM
Thanks, went to the site and looked around a bit. Will have to research my problem there. I am not sure why someone would have a Tempo fan club, I know I am not a fan of the car, just held prisoner by a lack of funds to do anything else!!

Thanks again.