Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

pontiac grand prix

05-05-04, 05:42 PM   #1  
pontiac grand prix

I own a 97 pontiac gran prix Gt. The AC works sometimes and sometimes it does not. I mean, when I turn to switch on to start it to 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, it sometimes makes a clicking sound and comes on. Other times is does not do it anything unless I turn to switch to the #5 position. Don't know what could be causing this. any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

05-06-04, 05:08 AM   #2  
I don't think the fan speed really has any bearing on whether the compressor comes on. The command to come on is initiated as soon as the blower is turned on at all. You may have a weak clutch or relay but it's going to have to be diagnosed at the time it won't come on. You'll have to get a schematic and follow it for testing. Something I usually try first is, at the time it won't come on I take a long bar and carefully tap the clutch plate with a jabbing motion while it's running to determine if it's just a weak clutch. If that makes it start, the it's a weak clutch. If not you could try tapping on the relay but you really need to systematically follow the schematic.

05-06-04, 06:53 AM   #3  
pontiac Grand prix

The compressor starts each time I turn the AC switch and fan on. NO air comes out of the vents unless it is on #5. I have checked it. The air blows out the vent occasionally when I switch it on 1 thru 4. It always works when I switch it to 5.

05-06-04, 01:02 PM   #4  
AH yes, now that's a different story. It's likely a bad blower resister. It's located in the A/C box between the blower motor and the evaporator. It could be under the dash on the passenger side or it could be under the hood near the firewall. I'm not sure about that car. It is a small black piece, about a couple inchs and it screwed into the air box by one or two screws with a multi wire plug in it.

Visiting Guest

05-11-04, 10:51 AM   #5  
stoney85
Similar problem, but perhaps more advanced.

I have a 2000 Grand Prix and positons 1 thru 4 are dead. I replaced the resistor pac and it worked for about two weeks and then died again. I thought I smelt something getting hot and sure enough, board #2 bought it.

Any suggestion on where I should look next?

Thank you,
Dave

05-11-04, 01:46 PM   #6  
Posted By: stoney85 I thought I smelt something getting hot and sure enough, board #2 bought it.
Any suggestion on where I should look next?
Thank you,
Dave
Check the current draw on the blower motor, also make sure you getting good air flow into the blower motor...re: plastic bags in the intake etc.

Visiting Guest

05-11-04, 02:33 PM   #7  
stoney85
Thank you Desi. I will do so.

01-24-05, 11:58 AM   #8  
low coolant light

My 97 pontiac grand prix gt low coolant light flickers on and off and sometimes stays on. I have checked under the hood fluid levels are ok. Should I even be worried about it since levels are ok?
Don't know what else to do. Help?

Search this Thread