92 hyundai excel/starting

Old 05-06-04, 04:05 PM
myk648
Visiting Guest
92 hyundai excel/starting

I have a 92 hyundai excel with an automatic transmission. The starter recently went bad. I purchased a new one and installed it. Still not starting. It sounds like the starter is not aligning with the flywheel properly.You can hear grinding noises. Do I need a new flywheel? When the starter was off, the flywheel seemed to look like it was in good shape. If so, how hard is it to change on this car? Any ideas on what a shop might charge for this job? I'm a vw guy and this is just my "beater with a heater"! This car only cost me $400 2 years ago and I don't want to sink a bunch of money into it! Any info would be great! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-04, 01:55 PM
You will need to double check the starter and flywheel.If the flywheel isn't bad maybe the new starter is junk.You need to check the entire flywheel not just one spot.Where did the new starter come from?

Old 05-07-04, 06:27 PM
myk648
Visiting Guest
This is the second starter I have put on it. The first one was from Autozone....junk! The 1 that's on the car now came from Napa. I'm pretty sure it is good. It came with a print out of it being tested from the factory and seems to engage and disengage properly.