Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Alternator???

Visiting Guest

05-07-04, 01:16 AM   #1  
davedogg
Alternator???

I was on this forum a few weeks ago. 1997 Chevy S-10. My RPM goes up and down rapidly while stopped, or even slowing down between 1 and 2. My battery light flickers on and off, especially when driving at night. When in park, the needle doesn't fluctuate but if i step on the gas the interior and exterior lights go brighter and dimmer. Is this an alternator problem, maybe something else, and where is a good place to get it checked/fixed? I know I can take it to the Chevy dealership and get charged a lot, but I don't have a lot to spend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links

05-07-04, 08:54 AM   #2  
it sure sounds like an alternator problem
I would take the alternator out and take it to auto zone (or the likes) and have it tested for free, it surely would eliminate
that being the problem, even if it isnt.

05-07-04, 01:40 PM   #3  
Is the check engine light on also?Have the battery and alternator tested to eliminate both or condemn one or both.

05-07-04, 03:59 PM   #4  
I agree with testing your charging system, but taking it to AutoZone is not the way to go. It needs to be tested in the vehicle both with and without loads, reading both amperage and voltage . Take it to a reputable repair shop. That test is usually under $30.

Search this Thread