Water Bypass Hose Under Thermostat?

Old 05-07-04, 03:19 PM
Engine Parts (1991 plymouth acclaim 2.5)

Hello Everyone: I wanted to know if there is a website that I could bring up the Engine Parts Specs for my 1991 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 liter.? When i drive it, the anti freeze splirts out Under pressure only! I suspect it is the (I believe it is called the Water Bypass hose (Not the bypass tube, i think that is ok) and I want to see about it Thanks Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 11:28 AM
Water Bypass Hose Under Thermostat?

Hello Everyone: I have a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 L and I am trying to replace the old water bypass hose that is Directly Under the Thermostat Housing. Now there is a metal Water Bypass Tube that runs along side the motor and come's up under this housing. now at the end of the this tubing there is a Metal cup on the metal tubing with a rubber bypass hose Inside of it, and this is the part that broke on me (it has one clamp around it! We'll anyway i got the clamp off but i Cannot Get the Rubber hose part Out of the Metal cup that it is in and i wanted to know, how is it attached? Is there a Flat C clamp under this metal cup or is it compressed onto the rubber hose or does it just pull out? Please if any one can help me as soon as possible, I would appreciate it, Thanks, Tom

Old 05-08-04, 01:39 PM
That is a band of metal crimped on to the hose. That has to be cut off, usually with an air operated die grinder (cut off wheel). Not too easy if you don't have air tools.

Old 05-08-04, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was sold by the dealer a 2inch hose and one clamp and was told it slides into the metal cup. But what you are saying, is that i have to buy the metal cup too, with the hose already crimped on to it, is this correct?

Old 05-08-04, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure what your referring to as the "cup". The way I think I remember this is that short hose is crimped onto the pipe with an aluminum collar. Is that true?

Old 05-08-04, 02:01 PM
No, The Metal tubing that comes around the engine and curves upward toward the thermostat housing has a metal cup (one inch deep) that it passes thru and you are suppose to place the the 2 inch hose into the cup and tuck it in one full inch and the other end of the rubber hose connects to a spout from the thermostat housing and there is one clamp that holds it! If i am not making sense please let me know? PS: I took a dentist mirror and looked under the metal cup (thinking it had a C clamp on it) but it did not.

Old 05-08-04, 02:21 PM
I guess your going to have to wait for Mike from NJ or one of the other Chrysler guys. The way I remembered it was the short hose was crimped to the pipe with an aluminum sleeve that had to be cut off and then the new hose clamped on. Maybe one of the other guys will recognize what your referring to.

Old 05-08-04, 03:34 PM
Ok, Thanks, BTW do you know of a website that shows diagrams of parts of automobles?

Old 05-08-04, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by tomtom59
Ok, Thanks, BTW do you know of a website that shows diagrams of parts of automobles?
Not for free.
Alldata will have it but you have to subscribe to that.

Old 05-08-04, 06:26 PM
Do you, by any chance know any auto mechanics in phila.?

Old 05-09-04, 04:16 AM
The cup as you call it is a crimped on clamp.What you need to do is cut around the perimeter of the cup nearest to the pipe without cutting the pipe.Then slit the cup lenthwise,spread it open and remove the little hose.Or you can buy the whole pipe at a chrysler dealer.If you go to their parts dept and ask nicely they will show you a pic of it.

Old 05-09-04, 11:27 AM
Thank You very much for all your help, i got it solved. One of the people at pep boys told me they did know how to replace that cup(crimped on, as you said) they told me it was not replaceable, so right then i knew i had to get Rid of that cup, so i could not cut it off (no tool) so i just wiggled it back far enought to get it out of the road and i then put (with difficulty) the 2inch hose on with TWO Clamps (instead of one) and it worked out great! Thanks again, i really appreciate you taking time to talk to me.

Old 05-09-04, 11:50 AM
So, if I understand this correctly, you installed the hose OVER the crimp sleeve?

Old 05-09-04, 12:32 PM
No, i just moved it back far enough to get it out of the road, there was just enough room to put the hose on with the two clamps! I will cut it off later if i can find a tool! Or just leave it there, its not bothering anything!

Old 05-09-04, 12:57 PM
Ok, I guess I misunderstood. I'd think you could find someone to cut that off there for just a few bucks and get the hose where it's supposed to be.

Old 05-09-04, 01:02 PM
Yes, I think you are right. BTW, is there a website that will show you how to put rear brake shoes and Rotor on, This shop i go to is killing me with labor costs and i am retired on a small disability income! Thanks