Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Air Cond Leak

IN

05-20-04, 03:31 PM   #41  
just dropped it off again... and I noticed they're planning to have the guy who did the original work, and then do the work when I took it back, do the work again. I didn't want to say anything with him standing right there but I'm tempted to call and ask the service writer if that's a good idea.. having the same dude working on it again.

what do you think? I know they want him to correct his own work, but it's my truck darn it.

Edit: alright, I just called, said to the service writer, "look, I didn't want to say anything with the guy standing right there, but were you thinking of having the same person do the work this time?" and he said no. Well, he said ''i'll probably have someone else do it, I was just telling him about the problems because he was standing there.''

Sponsored Links

05-20-04, 05:25 PM   #42  
This is simple it is called flat rate,the original guy must redo the work for free/no pay.The other option and very hard to do is get another person to fix the problem for less than the original job paid because they have to deflag the first guy to pay the second guy and people get unhappy quick.I think auto techs are the only people that fix mistakes or problems that seem related for no pay at all.I'm not saying he didn't screw up but maybe some things were not due to him with a truck with that mileage.Anyhow now you know why the same guy gets it back.If it isn't his fault and the service advisor doesn't want to charge the customer(you)he still gets no pay for checking your truck.

IN

05-20-04, 05:53 PM   #43  
oh if they can show that the problems are not related, I have no problem with paying for that (see the steering column issue that was the reason I went back to the dealer). I'm just not one to believe in coincidence, and the fact that these things are popping up right after the work was done to me indicates that the work done might possibly be the catalyst.

So, if they say it's all unrelated, sure I'll post and get second opinions, but I'll also pay for repairs beyond the initial repair issues.

Scott

05-21-04, 03:33 AM   #44  
I have some serious doubts already. It sounds like he made some real "rookie" mistakes already like pinching the vacuum hoses and anything else he left unplugged to set the check engine light. Having the original tech do the work might be the easy way out for the dealership but as a customer, you deserve better. Believe me, they can put their best tech on it if they feel they need to.

IN

06-17-04, 06:03 AM   #45  
Hello again everyone, sorry to dig this old long thread up again... but thought I'd let you know what was going on over the last month.

After getting my truck back the last time, the idle was still screwed up. so I had to take it back again (idle was still messed up, trouble lights coming on). They took it apart and what they finally told me was that the throttle body is dirty and it needs cleaned. Quoted price: $350. It said right on the invoice I got back that a cleaning is recommended and it'll take two hours ($80(labor rate) x 2= 160) and $35 in parts. so about 200. the service writer I've been forced to work with told me it needed the throttle body cleaned and said it'd cost about 200. then he said 'oh wait a minute... no, it's $350.' I'd just had the throttle body cleaned at another shop about a month before when I was getting my tranny flushed, they sprayed a bunch of stuff in it and use some kind of apparatus to clean off the carbon. and I still don't buy the fact that the problem suddenly cropped up while it was sitting in their service bay.

Additionally, while the original problem with the vents not being hooked up right was 'fixed', when I apply anything more than moderate acceleration it switches from the vent recirculate position to defrosters... which still sounds like a vacumn hose issue to my limited experience mind.

so, for the last 3 weeks I've been putting up with the high idle and AC issue just because i've been too angry to try to approach that dealership again. Should I give them another chance, dealing only with the manager (who was on vacation while the week's worth of work happened), or do I take it to the dodge shop out here where I work, get them to fix it, and if it's anything related to the work the first place did, take the invoice to them and demand compensation and a lollipop for putting up with all their sh!t? Sorry for the language, just thinking about this whole ordeal really gets my temper going.

Thanks for your thoughts on this continuing saga... do you think I should just count my losses, go elsewhere to get it fixed, live bitterly and never look back?

Scott

IN

06-17-04, 06:32 AM   #46  
I just had a thought.. how about calling the manager, politely explain to him that I'm going to email him, and send a link to this thread? this pretty accurately describes the problems and my aggravations. Plus, i think if I had to try to recount all of it to him verbally, I'd probably lose my temper, which wouldn't get me anywhere.

Scott

06-17-04, 09:26 AM   #47  
Man, what a mess Scott! You definately need to deal with someone higher up the food chain. I would contact their district office and lodge a complaint. I'd be hesitant about just going to another dealer as you may have some trouble getting your money back. Tell the district office that youn want to have it fixed elsewhere and see if they can authorize that somehow. If all that fails, it may be time for an other dealer and a lawyer.

06-17-04, 05:03 PM   #48  
I would have a pow wow with the service manager and the general manager and tell them this needs to be resolved at no cost to me.You have been extremely patient and deserve that much at a minimum.I would also tell them that if it is not resolved you will call the manufacturer and the BBB to attempt to have some kind of resolution to their substandard repair work not to mention the word of mouth advertising they could get(negative).Document everything,dates,times,names and make sure you have copies of bills for everytime you were there no charge or not.You are into this fairly deep so I advise them legal action may arise if they don't step up to the plate and soon.

IN

06-29-04, 03:42 PM   #49  
Hi Guys,

Well, in the interest of keeping the longest possibe thread going, I'm postin' again! Actually, my temper has abated enough that I'm going to be talking to the service manager and/or general manager. I think I am going to send them a link to this thread, as it pretty well chronicles the whole experience better than I could articulate it in a phone call.

Before I do open that can of worms I'd like to ask your expertise on the vent issue. I consider that the primary concern above the idle. Once I know the vacumn tubes are actually hooked up right, if the idle is still screwed up then I'll treat that as a different issue as it's possible there is a different problem there. But first, the vents.

When i'm starting out to head to work, I turn on the AC, always using the recirculate setting. When I accelerate I hear a 'clunk' from the dash that I can only guess is some kind of vent directional control doing a rough shift and then the air comes out the top and bottom. After acceleration is done and it's back to 'maintain speed' mode, there's another clunk, and then it comes back out thru the dash, as it should.

Does that sound to you like it's related the same problem as before, vacumn tubes not correctly hooked up? I'll be speaking with the service manager in the morning. He just returned my call but I was out driving and didn't want to get into describing all of this while running errands.

Thanks for your thoughts on the above. You all have been incredibly helpful and patient in helping me.

Scott

06-29-04, 04:29 PM   #50  
I would bet one of the vacuum control hoses got damaged or pinched when the box was reinstalled. It's probably going to have to come back out to see.

Search this Thread