88 Cherokee engine misfire

Old 05-11-04, 06:38 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
88 Cherokee engine sputter/hesitation

I am a novice so bare with me. My 88 Jeep recently began to inconsistently hesitate and sputter. I figured it was in need of a tune up so I did so...and this am it did it again. it will simply have a moment where the engine still runs but barely and sputters. it will last a few minutes and then resolve itself.

I still need to replace my gas filter but am wondering what other sources I need to check. It does not have this problem consistently....it runs like a dream 99% of the time. It just seems that every couple of days it has these moments of struggle.

Last edited by PJMorgan; 05-18-04 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-04, 01:54 PM
I think your on the right track with changing the fuel filter. You may have a fuel pump getting ready to crap out too. Watching you fuel pressure when it happens is the only way to know what's going on.

Old 05-12-04, 05:57 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
I changed the fuel filer last night and the fuel in it was just sludge. But then this am......it had the same problem. Oddly enough it seems to be at the same point in my drive...about 20 min in. it is hard to tell if the engine is not getting enough fule or enough air. How can I tell the difference? While it is in the midst of these attacks...it will idle fin but when I hit the gas it begins to sputter and choke out.

I am now thinking that there is a problem with the air/fuel mixture. But it is fuel injected so I am not sure how to verify the source.

I am starting to see some level of a pattern. it seems to have this attack about 15 minutes into my drive into work and 15 min into my drive home but it does not do it every day. Stop and Go traffic seems to increase the likelihood that it will happen.

Last edited by PJMorgan; 05-12-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-18-04, 11:01 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
The latest:
I decided to run my tank pretty low before refueling on the off chance that I got bad gas. I refilled Friday and had no problem Sat or Sunday. The truck sat sunday afternoon to monday afternoon (24 hrs) and started fine but would only idle for about 5 min, it would sputter and hesitate when I tried to give it any gas. And today...back to the "attacks". 15 min into a stop and go drive......attack lasted about 2 min and then it ran fine.

Now fine is a bit of an overstatement...my idle is a bit rough and "up and down".

HEEEEEELP!!!!!

Old 06-04-04, 09:48 AM
deadoptic
Visiting Guest
Same problem with 98 Blazer

I have exactly the same problem with a 98 Blazer. I admit the truck has been through hell in the last 2 months but it has had the water pump replaced, the head gasket replaced and it was tuned up (air filter replaced twice) but after all that, still the same symptoms ... drives fine for about 5 minutes, sputters for 2-3 minutes then it's fine. There's been no fuel gauge dips and everything seems fine. My friend recommends checking the spark plug timing and having the computer tested. Any ideas?

Old 06-04-04, 10:03 AM
These are the only sites you'll ever need for info and help on your cherokee:

jeepsunlimited.com
or
NAXJA.org

I'm on my 3rd Cherokee and these forums have been a ton of wealth.
I would say start w/ the simple stuff first, also disconnect your battery for about 15 minutes and let your computer reset itself. It's always worth a shot.

June

Old 06-04-04, 11:28 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Thanks June...I'll give them a shot.

After all of this run around, while I was replacing the TPS last night I saw a hose disconnted. it was from the air pump to the air filter. if that was the source of all of this crap I'm gonna scream!

Old 06-07-04, 06:07 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
After all of the run around and trying this and that, I think my problem goes back to a single hose that was disconnected. The house from the vacuum motor to the air cleaner was disconnected!!!! ARRRRRGH!!!! I saw this while replacing my TPS. So I have spent about $100 and 4 - 5 hours when it could have been a simple matter of checking my vacuum and air hose connections in the beginning!

Old 06-07-04, 12:51 PM
Yep, always check the basics first.

Old 06-10-04, 10:58 AM
forevernite72
Visiting Guest
simular problem

i own 3 jeeps myself i love them ,87 jeep wagoneer,88 jeep cherokee& a 88 jeep comanchee,all of them have different engines so in turn each have different problems,but the 88 cherokee,has a 4 cylinder& it started missing slightly then over time it got worse no matter what i seemed to do to it.came to find out theres a unit in the center of the bowl in the carburator that has a lil 2 prong plug on it,it was going bad& cutting the fuel off& its quiet expencive,check that it may be your problem it was mine.

Old 06-10-04, 12:02 PM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
forevernite,
I have a 4.0L straight 6 with fuel injection. But thanks for the reply!

I am on day 4 with no problems after connecting the vacuum pump hose though. I think that did it. I did need a new TPS though and I replaced that.