Buick Century

Old 05-11-04, 12:39 PM
Buick Century

Hi Guys, You all helped me out so much with advice about the clutch on my daughter's truck that I thought I'd ask your advice about my Buick Century. It is a 1993 and I know I need struts on the front end. The mechanic that checked it out left it up to me as to whether I want to replace the parts individually or purchase what he calls a strut assembly. The strut assembly would run about 225.00 per side(that's parts and labor). I am not worried about the price because I know he's fair but I also have a problem with the motor mounts. They are not broken but they are worn. Do you think they should be replaced at this time? He recommends waiting until they become a problem. The car was making a knocking sound when I went over bumps or just driving on a rough road. It sounded like a loose wheel. I expected to need cv joints, tie rods or a sway bar but he said everything looked ok. The only problem he found was that the struts were shot. What do you guys think? Replace just the struts? I appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-04, 01:38 PM
You don't say how many miles you have on that car so I can't speak as to the need of the struts but I'll say the price is a bit steep. We charge $125 - $150 per side on that vehicle. There is only one way to buy and change those struts and that is a strut assembly, no other option.
I really doubt the motor mounts are causing your noise. There is something else beside that. It could be the struts but it could be something he hasn't found yet also.

Old 05-12-04, 12:25 PM
Buick Century

Thanks, Desi501. I know that the struts need replacing but I feel that the noise I am hearing is something else. Kathy

Old 05-13-04, 08:26 AM
are you sure...

...that the ball joints were checked? clunking over sharp bumps sounds like suspension for sure. you also might consider the upper strut mounts to go along with struts. they have a small bearing in them and can also go bad...at least make sure your tech checks them and be prepared for an extra expense if it needs them. i agree with desi...225 a side sounds a bit steep.

one other thing...if it needs struts, it also needs shocks in the back...unless of course they've been replaced fairly recently.

Old 05-13-04, 09:54 AM
Buick Century

Thanks guys. The rear shocks were replaced approximately 6 months ago. I knew that probably the struts needed to be replaced also but financially couldn't swing it at that time. The mechanic called and said the car is ready. The only thing he did to it was replace the struts. I don't believe that solved the problem. I am going to pick the car up this afternoon. Will let you know how I made out. Thanks again, Kathy

Old 05-13-04, 12:19 PM
Buick Century

Ok guys, I just picked up my car. It rides much better, the front end feels much more stable and does not bounce around but the clunking or knocking noise (it sounds like a loose wheel but you hear it on both sides) is still there. The mechanic insists that he doesn't see any other problems but this man works out of his garage. He doesn't have a lift, he puts cars on jacks and slides underneath them to inspect them. He may have missed something. I am ok with him replacing the struts because I needed them. The total cost came to $390.00. It included a front end alignment done by Fleet Tire Service. Do you think I should have the front end checked out by a garage or just wait until something falls off(just kidding)? The car mileage is right at 73,000 miles. After spending $390.00, I will need to wait awhile before I can afford to have anymore work done. I appreciate any advice you can give me.Thanks, Kathy

Old 05-13-04, 02:59 PM
If you get someone else to check it have them check to see if the sway bar is broken under the mounting brackets.Also have them make sure the cradle bolts are tight.

Old 05-13-04, 03:06 PM
I'd put my money on the upper strut mounts. An easy way to check them is put your hand on the top of the strut under the hood, and have someone bounce the car for you. If they are the cause, you'll feel it.

Old 05-14-04, 07:20 AM
Buick Century

I want to thank everybody for their advice. I am going to take it to a garage on Monday. I have written down what everyone has instructed me to have checked out. Will let you know how I make out next week. I don't know alot about cars and could never do any repairs but what you guys are teaching me helps me to at least figure out what's wrong. Again, thanks for all the good advice. Kathy42

Old 05-18-04, 12:00 PM
BuicK Century

Just wanted to let everyone know how things turned out. I have the Buick Century that needed front end work. After the struts were replaced and front end was aligned, still had a problem with a noise that sounded like my front wheels were loose. They made a clunking noise when I went over bumps. Well, after getting the car on the road, it seemed to be out of alignment even though the front end was aligned after the work was done. I took it back to Fleet Tire (the garage that did the alignment), had it checked and they agreed that the alignment was not done correctly. They did another alignment. I took the car out on the road.This time the front end seemed to be aligned. Now this is where it gets puzzling. The noise I heard is gone. It stopped after the second front end alignment. I don't know why but I'm concerned that it may come back. I don't believe a front end alignment could have fixed this problem and if it did, what could have been wrong? Should I take it in and have it checked or just wait until the noise comes back? I appreciate everyones advice. Thanks, Kathy42

Old 05-18-04, 02:25 PM
Your right, it does seem strange that a wheel alignment would cure the noise problem. You never know, they may have tightened something that was their fault all along and didn't bother to tell you. I wouldn't be too concerned unless something give you a reason to.

Old 05-19-04, 06:13 AM
Buick Century

Thanks, Desi501. I am not going to worry about it until I hear it again. I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks, Kathy42