conflicting tranny stories

Old 05-11-04, 03:43 PM
conflicting tranny stories

Hi,

I'm asking this for a friend. He has a 3 year old mitsubishi montero. he took it in for an oil change yesterday, and when he started it to drive off and put it in gear, it didn't shift.. and then it 'clunked' in. When he would come back to a stop, it'd go into neutral again and then clunk back in when he tried to drive off. he took it back to the shop and they said it was low on tranny fluid and added a bottle. As he drove off, it still did it, and the truck was smoking alot. He called a local tranny shop and they towed it in, and told him today he needed a new transmission, because it had been out of fluid and had metal flakes (and quoted about 4k for a rebuilt, almost 6k for a new tranny). he asked mitsu about his warranty, they said it had to be checked out/fixed at a mitsu dealer. So, tow to the mitsu dealer, who fills it up with fluid and says it is now fine.

SO... two very different stories. One thing suggested by one of the shops was that the oil change place screwed up and drained his tranny fluid instead of the old oil, so that's why the problem showed up so suddenly, and also the reason it smoked so much was because there was far too much oil (since they hadn't drained the original stuff, and then added more - altho, wouldn't that have been obvious when they tried to change the filter, and oil was pouring out nonstop?? oh, and the kid who changed it was disgruntled, commented how he couldn't wait till blah blah cause it was his last day)

the vehicle is 3 years old, with about 40k on it. he drove it a total of maybe 3 miles after the problem started. Given the description, could anyone take any guesses at what might be happening here?

Thanks for your time and thoughts,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-04, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by scottaa1
Hi,

SO... two very different stories. One thing suggested by one of the shops was that the oil change place screwed up and drained his tranny fluid instead of the old oil, so that's why the problem showed up so suddenly, and also the reason it smoked so much was because there was far too much oil (since they hadn't drained the original stuff, and then added more - altho, wouldn't that have been obvious when they tried to change the filter, and oil was pouring out nonstop?? oh, and the kid who changed it was disgruntled, commented how he couldn't wait till blah blah cause it was his last day)
Scott
That sounds right on the money!!!!!!!!!

I think that oil change place owes you some money and the tranny shop should be reported for trying to rip him off.
No it wouldn't be obvious by taking the filter off. Nothing but what's in the filter itself will come out unless the engine is running, so if he hasn't done it already, I'd check or change the oil again SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Old 05-11-04, 04:40 PM
Thanks for your input Desi501. One other question that I forgot to post is, if he did drive the tranny without fluid for a few miles, did he likely damage it? If Mitsu filled it back up and says it's fine...... does that mean it's fine now, but instead of lasting 12 years, may only last 8 from the premature wear?? This is one of those peace of mind things....

And as far as the local shop that told him he needed a new tranny, there are 4 in town, two registered with the BBB (the one he went to was NOT one of the registered ones), and both of them had few complaints. One shop had a 'resolved' status on both of its complaints, and the other had 80% resolved complaints, 20% 'company tried earnestly to correct the issue, but couldn't' on its ten complaints. And, it was kinda funny, I pull up the BBB site, and right there on top is a banner ad for the tranny place I was looking up.... haha!

The place he got the oil change is a national chain, like a jiffy loob or valvo instant. I forget which one, but yeah I think he should at least request some free service coupons (like for a tranny flush and fill), and TAKE THEM ELSEWHERE!

Thanks Desi501,
Scott

Old 05-12-04, 05:35 AM
I don't think you did any substantial damage to that tranny. It's no big deal if he didn't continuously try to drive it. I would contact that oil change place's corporate headquarters though. Let them know about that employee's remarks also and what this negligence could have cost them.

Old 05-12-04, 10:36 AM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
You friend made one big mistake here..If it was still under warranty he should have had it towed straight to the dealer and there it could have been documented that there was no tranny fluid and the oil was twice the level it should have been.. Then I would have demanded a new tranny from the quick oil change place because you don't really know how much life that bit of driving without fluid sucked from that tranny and what hidden damage was done..If it was me, I wouldn't be asking for no free coupons..they owe your friend a tranny and If they don't give him one I'd take the story to the local newspaper and also file a suit in small claims court..Its total and utter ridiculous incompetance that they thought the tranny drain was the oil drain and they must have not even checked the motor oil level on the stick after putting the 4 or 5 quarts in like your supposed to do(they would have noticed their FK up)...This place shouldn't be in business, what about the next poor sucker this happens to and it will...For the sake of humanity , tell your friend to fight this like a mad dog... Do let them screw someone elses car up........
Bug

Last edited by Bugalou; 05-12-04 at 10:50 AM.

Search this Thread