Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1999 Grand Prix interior moisture problem.

Visiting Guest

05-12-04, 07:48 AM   #1  
tcarr680
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]1999 Grand Prix interior moisture problem.[/FONT]

After running the a/c for a while a great deal of moisture collects underneath the carpet on the front passenger's side. I checked underneath the dash on the passenger's side and found what I think is the a/c compressor (or part of the system) and that it had a flexible black tube which had slipped loose. I connected this tube to a "spout" that extends from underneath in the same area of the dash, but it really hasn't helped the drainage problem. I also noticed that no moisture is draining from the vehicle on the outside while the a/c is running. Every car I have ever owned that had a/c did this on the regular.

DOes anyone have any idea where this moisture is coming from and how to redirect it outside the car? BTW, the a/c unit itself works great otherwise.

Thanks.

TC

Last edited by tcarr680; 05-12-04 at 08:20 AM.

Sponsored Links

05-12-04, 12:57 PM   #2  
Yes, the condenstaion is not draining, probably because it is plugged. Take a piece of coat hanger and GENTLY probe it inside of that drain tube (no more than 5 inches)until you get the water to drain. After that, be sure to securely attach that downspout on the outside. If that's not there, it will siphon back down the inside of the firewall as it drains.

Visiting Guest

05-12-04, 01:18 PM   #3  
tcarr680
Hi Desi501:

Thanks for repsonding to my query. Let me get this straight:

I'm placing a coat hanger (gently) into the the "spout" that I described in the query or the flexible black tube that is extending from the compressor?

Should there be a drain tube/hose on the other side of the firewall that is accessible from underneath the vehicle or the engine compartment?

Again, thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

TC

05-12-04, 01:36 PM   #4  
first off the ac compressor is bolted to the engine and is not what you are looking at under the dash.
if you open the hood and look at the firewall of the vehicle you should see a spout or drain hole on the passenger side that will allow water to drain out of the evaporator box that accumalates from running the a/c this is what you can insert a piece of wire into to unclog sometimes you do not even have to use wire as they usualy have a 90 degree rubber spout that usually can be squeezed and to push anything blocking the drain to fall out.
if you cant locate the drain go see a shop as on some vehicles it is not viewable or may be very difficult to get to.

05-12-04, 02:00 PM   #5  
Posted By: tcarr680 Hi Desi501:

I'm placing a coat hanger (gently) into the the "spout" that I described in the query or the flexible black tube that is extending from the compressor?
TC
I have no idea what your referring to at the compressor. The condensation drain is coming through the firewall in the lower portion like Bejay said.

Visiting Guest

05-13-04, 06:12 AM   #6  
tcarr680
Gentlemen:

Okay I think I understand. The component under the dash with the flexible black tube is the evaporator box, not the compressor, which is in the engine compartment. The condensation drainage tube goes through the firewall and it needs to be cleared out to help the water drain properly, otherwise I will continue to get moisture inside the car.

I took a closer look at the drainage tube last night. Its very hard to reach, but I might be able to do it once the engine cools down. Its at a strange angle and up high on the firewall, which may also be contributing to the situation. If I can reach it I will adjust it so that its lower on the firewall. I also gave the flexible black tube that extends from the evaporator box into the "spout" a couple of squeezes to help clear the system and I noticed that there is now moisture coming from the drainage tube. The big test will be tonight when I run the system while driving.

Again, I thank both of you for your advice.

TC

Search this Thread