Saab Fuel Pump Replacement -

Old 05-12-04, 11:44 AM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Saab Fuel Pump Replacement -

I've got a 1993 Saab 9000 CS with a bad fuel pump, and need to figure out a way to get the retaining ring off, to extricate the pump from the tank.

No one seems to have the fuel pump wrench available locally, and I'm about to weld together a spanner for it, unless there's an easier way. Trying to remove it with just a simple 180 degree spanner won't work, because the nylon tabs aren't strong enough to break it loose. I'll have to get something that engages all the tabs simultaneously, whether a proper tool or a welded together piece.

This is the kind of thing that's tailor made for those Harbor Freight pot metal tools; simple enough job, but impossible to do without the right tool...

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-04, 02:01 PM
Talk to the service manager at your locol SAAB dealer and ask if you can borrow it if you leave a deposit that exceeds the value of the tool.If he lets you buy the man a pizza for doing you a favor.

Old 05-12-04, 02:59 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
I'll try, though it might be more successful if I had a regular shop that I dealt with regularly. The parts counter was rather unhelpful when I inquired about buying a tool for it, just saying they don't sell tools. Maybe the service area is a bit friendlier.

I figure they'd be reluctant to do any lending, since they have to recoup the money they've invested in the tools they purchased, and they could only do that by doing the job and charging for it.

Heck, if they do loan me the tool, I'd buy 'em dinner and a movie!

Barring that, I'll jig some flat bar stock up and weld my own wrench together- make a project out of it..

Old 05-14-04, 09:11 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Mission accomplished-

Made a fuel pump retaining ring 'socket' out of a PVC pipe adapter, and cut notches at 20 degree intervals to fit the splines of the ring-
Using a bar through two opposing holes drilled in the tool, I was able to remove the ring successfully without damaging it-

The adapter found at Home Depot just happened to be the exact correct diameter needed, and the 8mm wall thickness proved up to the task.

Removed the dead fuel pump from the assembly, and just waiting for the replacement to come in-

here's what it looks like-
retaining ring socket

Extracted ring

Old 05-14-04, 09:48 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
my hat's off to you, that is one amazing tool.

as for dealers, the parts counter people are usually disgruntled, and sometimes have a high turnover rate, and they definitely do not sell tools. tools are crammed down the throat of the service department from the manufacturer, and the bill shows up on the service manager's desk. (NOT CHEAP)

also don't be intimidated by a service technician, the ones that last are regular people, just like 75% of the people in here and the entire moderator team. i've often photocopied entire chapters of 'code trouble trees' for people off the street, for nothing more than a 'thanks', and don't get me started about answering phone calls.

i would lend a tool out for a healthy deposit.

Old 05-14-04, 11:30 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Certainly anyone on this board is by nature the type that is friendly and helpful, otherwise they wouldn't be here trying to help out-

I guess I anticipated the response based on the parts counter guy, and painted the dealership as a whole with the same brush. If the occasion comes up again, I'll ask and see if they could be of help.

It was just amazing luck (or was it... hmm.) that the pipe just fit so perfectly in the ring, and all the slots I cut out dropped right in without any further tweaking. I counted the splines from the picture I took, then used Excel to draw up a pie chart with the right number of segments, and then marked it off on the PVC adapter, cutting the slots on a table saw.
I was originally thinking metal to make up a tool, but that would have been substantially more difficult to do properly. I got a suggestion to use PVC pipe, and unearthed the piece at the local Home Depot for the princely sum of $4.
Being most likely (I hope) a one time use item, it's an interesting item to add to the tool collection.

Are those dealer tools not for sale at any cost then? It'd be interesting just to see what the dealer tool for this job looks like.

Old 05-14-04, 11:43 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you would have to go through some red tape to get one without an account.

dodge uses 'miller' tools, isuzu uses 'kent moore'. the whole manufacturering process is one big ordeal. the manufacturer specifies 200 tools needed to work on a specific car model, a union machinist earns his wage making it perfectly, then it sits in boxes in our tool room for 5 years gathering dust, while the 8 tools we really need get used/abused/ground down/welded/hammered, then finally broken for good and we end up buying them ourselves off the tool trucks (snap-on, mac)

if you showed yours, i bet they would show theirs.

Old 05-15-04, 10:34 AM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Guess that's the nature of those specialized once-in-a-blue-moon needed tools. I tend to collect all kinds of tools whenever I come across a need for them, and have them sitting around in the dust bin. Luckily I couldn't find the source for this one, or I might have just gone and paid the bucks for it, only to use it twice.
I've got an Earthquake gas powered post hole digger that I used for maybe 5 fence post holes, and now it's sitting around, resting on its laurels. I just like having the capability to DIY, though it sure ain't cost effective! Maybe I ought to sell it and go buy some other one-time use tools

It'd be interesting to bring my quadrabuck PVC contraption to the service dept. and ask them what the real item looks like..

On a related and yet unrelated note, have you seen the new IR titanium 1/2" impact wrench? I was actually thinking of getting one before common sense took hold, since I already have an IR2131 that's probably pretty much the same, beyond the gee-whiz-it's-titanium factor.

Old 05-16-04, 03:55 PM
Trendar.... Thats awesome ingenuity. I love it. I have to make tools sometimes too, so I know where you are coming from. In fact im in the developing stages for a flywheel turner for the cars I work on regularly. I have done about 15 tranny R&R's in the last 3 months and there is so little room to get to the flywheel to turn it that the conventional turner just doesnt work. The 2 screwdriver method is getting old really fast.
The IR Titanium is a nice impact, but virtually overmade (as well as overpriced) for the DIYer. I dont even own one of them (YET!!!) LOL.
As for the parts department offering any help with anything let alone tools is just comical. They are mostly guys who think they are mechanics just cause they work around cars. LOL. We have one parts guy that got transfered out of the shop cause he was such a screw up. He aint much better in parts.LOL!!!
Good luck,
Billy

Old 05-16-04, 05:13 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Thanks- have to admit I was originally thinking metal, and it took a suggestion by someone else to try a pvc pipe, so I can't say it was all my idea.. I am happy about the implementation though- just pure luck that they had the exact diameter I needed, and the 8mm wall thickness was also exactly right- any thicker and it would have been blocked by a tube sticking up from the pump cover-.

Sounds like your flywheel turner will be worthwhile, since it'll get lots of use!

New pump's been installed, and car's back up again, to make it all worth the effort. Yay!

Search this Thread