screeeeeech

Old 05-13-04, 11:52 AM
flugnash
Visiting Guest
Question screeeeeech

My brakes started squeaking, so I took my car in to get them changed. I was told that my brakes were like new, and that they could not figure out why they were squeaking. Took it into another place for 2nd opinion and got the same reply. My brakes are driving me crazy!! Can anyone offer a suggestion asto what may be making that horrendous noise?? 2000 Nissan Xterra.
Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-04, 12:11 PM
it likely is the brake pads making noise and I would think a shop would be able to determine that if they could hear the noise when they test drove the vehicle,if they are just making noise the first few stops of the day or in high humidity conditions it is usually considered normal for most brake pads on the market and you may have to put a high quality ceramic pad to stop the ocasional squeek caused by most semi metalic pads.

Old 05-13-04, 12:43 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
are they squeaking when you apply the brakes only?......could be a bit of rust or glaze on the rotors ...

Bug

Old 05-13-04, 03:08 PM
Are they original? How many miles?

Old 05-13-04, 03:38 PM
Aaaah Nissan.......

That manufacturer has the most problem of any with respect to squeel. Have you determined if it's front or rear? Their drum brakes have been known to make a lot of noise too. If it's coming from the front, your going to have to put a fresh cut on the rotors and buy a high quality pad, preferably ceramic if available. I sometimes use a BeckArnley "organic". Lube the back of the pads with some moly lube or black synthetic brake grease. That should solve your problem for good. If it happens to be the rear, blow it out thoroughly with compressed air and sand the shoes with a grinding disc. I know the blowing part isn't osha approved but it will fix the problem.

Old 05-13-04, 05:00 PM
Not a valid fix at the moment, but certainly interesting!

http://www.technologyreview.com/arti...otype50504.asp

Desi is right. Ceramic (preferable) or organic pads is your best option. Just remember the high quality reference. White box junk will give you the same or worse.

Old 05-14-04, 07:15 AM
flugnash
Visiting Guest
They aren't junk pads. But there is definitely some metal on metal action somewhere. Am I to understand that the noise can be coming from the calipers instead of pad on disc??

Old 05-14-04, 02:29 PM
the brake pads can vibrate and actually cause a noise from where the pads metal backing plate and the caliper come together.
but most all higher quality pads as well as the originals that came on the vehilce had shims or a backing material on the back of the pad to keep this problem from occuring. cheaper brands usually do not.
they can also make noise from where the pads are coming in contact with the disc which is usually the most common problem when you are already using a good brand semi metalic pad.in these cases it usually requires a brake pad of different material to fix as pointed out above ceramic or organic pads would be the best way to go but organic pads usually dont offer as good of performance when they get hot as ceramic or even semi metalic does.

Old 05-14-04, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by flugnash
They aren't junk pads. But there is definitely some metal on metal action somewhere. Am I to understand that the noise can be coming from the calipers instead of pad on disc??
No, it's the pads. You say they're not junk, did you pay over $50 for them. What brand and series are they? Don't mistake a marketing ploy of a lifetime gaurantee for quality.

Old 05-14-04, 07:35 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
I just got back from a hop to the store with my 88 Nissan Pulsar that I fixed up and my left front tire was squeeling like a stuck pig and the noise was the same whether I applied the brakes or not...I just changed the pads(semi-metallic, cause they last longer than organics)...I popped off the tire when I got home and the caliper seized in a position where it had the pad jammed against the rotor..Oh well, off to the junk yard tomorrow to get another caliper...

Bug

Old 05-15-04, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Bugalou
I just got back from a hop to the store with my 88 Nissan Pulsar that I fixed up and my left front tire was squeeling like a stuck pig and the noise was the same whether I applied the brakes or not...I just changed the pads(semi-metallic, cause they last longer than organics)...I popped off the tire when I got home and the caliper seized in a position where it had the pad jammed against the rotor..Oh well, off to the junk yard tomorrow to get another caliper...

Bug
Exchange junk for junk - what a concept....

Old 05-15-04, 08:54 AM
Bejay is right on both vibration and contact noise. Pad shims (O.E. are preferable to aftermarket generic designs) will go a long way towards eliminating vibration problems, as will good lubrication at metal-to-metal contact points between the pads and caliper brackets, as Desi suggested. Contact noise between the pads and rotor is a different animal. Any semi-mettalic pad is prone to it, regardless of quality, due to hard spots forming in the pad material. Ceramic (or organic) pads, O.E. shims, and lubrication of brackets and slides will cover all possible bases. Don't forget a good resurface on the rotors if they have enough meat left on them. If not, spring for new ones. Again, quality is important. Disregard the reference by one of the posters stating that "semi-mettalic lasts longer." Any difference in the life of the pads is inconsequential, depending on your driving habits and 'best quality'.

Old 05-15-04, 12:13 PM
flugnash
Visiting Guest
Thanx for the advice everyone. I will try ceramic pads to see if that alleviates my problem.

Old 05-15-04, 01:33 PM
Thanx for the advice everyone. I will try ceramic pads to see if that alleviates my problem.
Be sure you either resurface or replace those rotors at the same time. Measure them first.