96 Ford Taurus Vibration Problem

Old 05-13-04, 03:53 PM
RonaldB
Visiting Guest
96 Ford Taurus Vibration Problem

I have a 1996 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 litre V-6. This car has 188,000 kms ( approx 140,000 miles) on it. I have not had any major problems with this vehicle, it still has original battery and exhaust system too. I am not one to repair my own vehicle, but I do have this car serviced routinely, including oil changes, belt replacements and rad and transmission fluid changes as recommended. Tires are well within wear limits with about 50,000 kms (30,000 miles) on them.

I can't get the car to my mechanic until next week as I need it to get to work out of town. The last few days I have noticed vibration I can feel through the accelerator pedal at highway speeds. It feels the sort of like an orbital sander feels to your hand when you operate it. It is a steady unchanging rate that seems to go away when speed starts to drop down to 40 mph or so. I have had tire problems over the years, such as balance or belt problems, and it doesn't feel like those to me.

What types of problems might give symptoms such as this? I will get the car to the garage next week, but I'm starting to wonder if I should be driving it 60 miles to work until then. I haven't been able to talk to my garage this week because I have been out of town during his opening hours.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-04, 04:21 PM
Are there any noises associated with this? Can you get it in park when revving the engine? Does it change with acceleration or deceleration?
It could be many things.....a miss in the engine, a harmonic balancer coming apart, a bad water pump or other pully, a drive axle or even transmission related.

Old 05-13-04, 08:20 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
Could be a broken motor mount too

Bug