Struts going bad

Old 05-13-04, 04:07 PM
Struts going bad

I have a 1995 ford windstar van. It has had the same passenger side strut replaced twice - once at 50K and recently at 100K. The replacement also requires an alignment so it gets expensive. So .... what makes the same strut go bad. It looks like a sturdy metal part. I believe I read somewhere that the windstar was prone to this. I am a reasonably careful driver and I am seeking a explanation for this reoccurence. The work was done at a Pep Boys garage and I have no reason to question their integrity.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-04, 04:16 PM
What is actually happening to them? Are they leaking? It is unusual but I believe PepBoys carries Gabriel products which are guaranteed for life. It's not uncommon for the right side to have more problems because it is the gutter side and see more abuse. they should be lasting longer than that though.

Old 05-13-04, 04:23 PM
sorry Desi. I should have said "tie rod" not strut. I know the difference .. just misspoke

Old 05-13-04, 05:07 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
The passenger side suspension usually takes more of a beating then the driver side, the pot holes and road damage are usually on the right side of a road...cheap parts could compound the problem..How did you know it was bad??..was the front vibrating?

Bug

Old 05-13-04, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by vetisme
sorry Desi. I should have said "tie rod" not strut. I know the difference .. just misspoke
OK, that's different. An "out of balance" tire or bent wheel will accelerate tie rod wear. Obviously not greasing will also.

Old 05-14-04, 10:06 AM
They told me it needed to be repaced during an inspection. I can't say I noticed any vibration etc. I take good care of all my vehicles including greasing. I really should get in the habit of asking for the replaced parts - just to ease my mind.

Old 05-15-04, 08:38 AM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
If they gave you the old tie rod it would probably look pretty beat up, you have to use a pickle fork and a big hammer to seperate it from the steering knuckle and the grease boot would be trashed...If your there I would ask them to show me(while its still on the car) why its bad...If they won't let you look at it (stating insurance regulations, company policy..etc...) then I wouldn't let them change it ..Bring the car somewhere else
Bug

Old 05-15-04, 09:43 AM
vetisme, you haven't said which tie rod it is (inner or outer). Mr. Bug finally said something partially correct, in that any wear short of major failure would be hard to see or feel with the tie rod off the vehicle. CAn you tell us which one it is?

Old 05-15-04, 03:49 PM
It was the outer tie rod.

Old 05-15-04, 04:38 PM
You know, 50K is exactly yesterday. That's a long time if it never saw grease.

Old 05-15-04, 05:48 PM
Desi: It was greased. I was interested in what makes them go bad if they are greased. I am beginning to feel I should have told them I wanted to see the problem before approving the replacement , alignment etc. Years ago and before I got smart someone talked me into ball joints. The attorney generals office ultimately discovered and prosecuted the scam at that repair establishment. Maybe I am getting unsmart again.

Old 05-15-04, 07:03 PM
Other than hammering from wheel shimmey or potholes, there's nothing else that will accelerate that wear. I really doubt is was bad at all.