Ford Ranger Starter Replacement

Old 05-14-04, 07:51 AM
Ford Ranger Starter Replacement

I am trying to remove the starter on a friend's truck. It's a 1991 Ranger, 2WD, 4-cyl, stick shift. The starter seems to be held on by three bolts, two accessible from underneath and the third from above (after removing the oil filter). The thing is, the one accessible from above is a different size than the other two (15mm vs. 13mm). Have I really identified the right bolt? I've done a few starters in the past and have never seen one with different-sized bolts. Access is tight and visibility not good, so maybe the third bolt is further back in there somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-04, 10:13 AM
I recently replaced a starter on my buddies 2.3L ranger. WHile I forgot if there were two or three bolts, I do recall it being a VERY straight forward and simple job, took maybe 20 minutes.

What I would suggest is buying the new starter first, that way you can identify the location of all of the mounting holes so that you know what you are dealing with. Regardless, there are no tricks to removing this starter, so your basic tool kit and a little patience will have this out in no time. I remember being impressed how straight forward it was.

Old 05-14-04, 11:50 AM
I agree it should be straightforward, just not turning out that way. For starters (pardon the pun), out of my couple of hundred sockets, the 15mm is the only one missing. Also, my friend's wife already bought a new starter, but I think AutoZone gave her the wrong one. I took it out of the box and crawled underneath to compare it to what's installed. Looks nearly the same except the mounting bosses are in different locations. I'm thinking Rangers might have had two different sizes of 4-cylinder motors. I hope to get the old one out this afternoon so she can take it to AZ.