A/C Leak?

Old 05-14-04, 07:55 AM
youthrevolution
Visiting Guest
A/C Leak?

I have a 99 Altima GXE that I just had the A/C diagnosed and recharged at PepBoys at the end of April. It was working great...for about ten days! Now it just blows hot air! They told me that I didn't have a leak...so...should I go back there? Is there any guarantee/warranty on the work they do?

And what do you think of chains like Firestone and PepBoys? Thanks!

Old 05-14-04, 08:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What exactly did they "diagnose"? Other things besides a leak can make the a/c stop working (bad clutch, for example).

You might check your receipt for warranty coverage. If there is any it should be stated on there somewhere.

I have no experience with Firestone, but I personally wouldn't let Pep Boys change the air in my tires.

Old 05-14-04, 08:07 AM
If there was no freon leak, why was it necessary for the system to be recharged? Refrigerant does not just vanish in a sealed system.

Old 05-14-04, 08:14 AM
youthrevolution
Visiting Guest
First, they diagnosed the A/C system and checked for leaks etc. before doing any work. Then, they added more freon since it was low. I had it checked out first at Firestone and they told me there wasn't a leak either and that they just needed to add more freon etc. I went to PepBoys for a second opinion and they said the same thing...no leaks, just need to add more freon.

Old 05-14-04, 01:54 PM
Bugalou
Visiting Guest
I would tell you how to check your system pressure, buy the 134a refridgerant for 5 bucks a can and install it yourself, also how to find leaks yourself and repair them but first I have to ask if this is the route you want to go...If not then I would try to find a dedicated AC repair shop, I don't like Pep Boys or Firestone at all...

Bug

Old 05-14-04, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by youthrevolution
First, they diagnosed the A/C system and checked for leaks etc. before doing any work. Then, they added more freon since it was low. I had it checked out first at Firestone and they told me there wasn't a leak either and that they just needed to add more freon etc. .
Now, what's wrong with this statement.

Of course it has a leak. The freon fairly didn't take it. They just don't know how to find it. Evaporator leaks are hard to find because you generally don't have access to get close to it. A good A/C tech will be able to find the leak. If it's gone in 10 days, then it's a pretty big leak. You just need to find a shop that is more experienced in A/C repairs. Most of the chain companies don't have experienced enough techs. Go to the dealer if you can't find anybody else capable.

Old 05-14-04, 02:39 PM
B
I would sugest going back to the shop and explain to them it only lasted 10 days and that it is now not working, and let them check it if its low on freon again obviosly it has a leak and depending on what type of equipment they use to find a leak may be able to determine where its coming from. as some shops add dye when recharging the vehicle incase the vehicle does return they will be more easily be able to loacte the leak.

Old 05-14-04, 02:51 PM
D
Some a/c leaks are hard to find inaccessible areas very tight areas etc.If you would have gone to the dealer you may have had your answer by now in one trip.I will not bad mouth another repair facility but it depends on who works where how much they know and how much they care.The dealer has seen your vehicle countless times while others may not have.They are not nalways more expensive.Call a/c shops and ask how they proceed if you need a repeat charge in a short period of time.I worked at a Firestone so I know at one time they had one good store.I had an attitude that showed the utmost respect to the customer,I did what it takes to fix the car,unless the customer didn't wish to do the repair.If that lacks in a shop you will not get good service on any part of your vehicle.Alot of shops blow it "full of gas"and see if it comes back before looking too hard for leaks.Flatrate or commision only wages does that to some people.

Old 05-14-04, 10:54 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by youthrevolution
Is there any guarantee/warranty on the work they do?

that should have been your first question before you authorized ANY work/repairs to be done.

most decent places warranty work for 12 months/12,000 miles if that exact part failed again. other leaks do occur, but someone needs to start fixing somthing first, and not just adding freon. 10 days is a big leak, and there may be more than one(leak).

on the other hand, maybe they charged the system with freon and dye and the leak is going to be blaringly obvious now.
that's what we do, dye it, charge it, run it for 1/2 hour and look with a blacklight for the leak. sometimes it takes a long while. or if the condensor fan isn't working and someone was monkeying with the high pressure cut-out switch, it can happen all at once and very suddenly. (that's where DIY's can get into big trouble quickly, hopefully not losing any eyes)

let us know what you do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: