Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 chevy blazer ac low side help

SC

05-15-04, 12:06 PM   #1  
92 chevy blazer ac low side help

hi guys help on which is the low side of a 92 chevy blazer ac low side
still has R12 I guess
1 valve the old hose from the can of r12 fits its on the big sliver or aluimme
thing
1 valve is a line beside it
all help is needed
thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-15-04, 12:41 PM   #2  
Bugalou
Couldn't quite understand what your saying...Is that a can of 134a refridgerant you have or a can of R12?...

Bug

05-15-04, 12:45 PM   #3  
The "big silver thing" is the accumulator. That is where the low side port is located. Hi-side port is the one in-line. What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

05-15-04, 01:30 PM   #4  
I really hope your not trying to dump R134 in there without having any idea what your doing. The results could be disasterous.

SC

05-15-04, 02:34 PM   #5  
lol the can R12

the can is R12 but i called my brother and he said it has been converted to R134
So i want to put a can of that in just wanted to make sure of the low side
so the low said is on the accumulator thats want i throught lol
blac kie

05-15-04, 04:49 PM   #6  
Be very careful here. Your messing with some dangerous stuff. If you were to accidently hook that to the high side the can would likely blow up in your face. Also be absolutely sure of what kind of refrigerent is in the vehicle now. Contamination would be bad. are you sure that it's actually low on refrigerant to start with. Overcharging can be dangerous also. This isn't really a job for a first timer.

SC

05-15-04, 07:09 PM   #7  
Ez Chill

I went and got the EZ CHILL Auto air conditioning Recharging and retrofit kit
it's go everything you need 3 cans of refrigerant,lubricant plus leak sealer and O-Ring conditioner for a complete system fill plus a HOW TO CD
and service port adapters,label,metal can tap valve and high pressure charging hose with in-line gauge and quick connect coupler
so i hope to have air this time tomorrow night
blackie

05-16-04, 04:34 AM   #8  
Posted By: Blackie I went and got the EZ CHILL Auto air conditioning Recharging and retrofit kit
it's go everything you need 3 cans of refrigerant,lubricant plus leak sealer and O-Ring conditioner for a complete system fill plus a HOW TO CD
and service port adapters,label,metal can tap valve and high pressure charging hose with in-line gauge and quick connect coupler
so i hope to have air this time tomorrow night
blackie
I think about all you might accomplish is to damage your system. There's a lot more to consider when retrofitting that that CD is going to tell you about. R12 oil is not compatable with R134 refrigerant. Any left in the system will turn to jello and do some damage if it restricts things.
How do you know how much R134 to put in that particular system? Even if done correctly, it may not work well.

SC

05-16-04, 04:59 AM   #9  
tech

yea i know see my bother and a tech friend changed it over a couple of years ago
the lable is under the hood tell how much to put in
the blazer was parked over a year when i got it
so i'm going to try this kit the man thats helping me has been a tech for 40 some odd years so i hope it's not like i'm doing it blind folded lol
blackie

05-16-04, 05:43 AM   #10  
OK, that sounds better. Good luck.

05-16-04, 06:21 AM   #11  
If someone had 40 years in the biz and couldn't tell the low side from the hi side I would question his expertise.But that's just me liking my eyes to see for the rest of my life.Refrigerants are DANGEROUS chemicals and eyesight can be lost among other things by improper use or servicing methods.Trust me I know I almost lost a finger.A/C work is not a game you need to have the utmost respect for the little can that could change your life.

SC

05-16-04, 10:10 AM   #12  
he did when he looked at

he did when he looked at but i wrote to you guys before i talked with him
we will be very careful i asure you and trust the Lord to help us
the guys arould here want over 100.00 dollars to fill it and i just don't have that kind of money right now a friend loaned me the money to get the kit
in the kit the adaptador only fits the low side so you can't put it in the high side
blackie

05-16-04, 12:33 PM   #13  
Posted By: Blackie in the kit the adaptador only fits the low side so you can't put it in the high side
blackie
So that means you'll have no idea what the pressure is on the high side while your pumping freon into the low side. This whole thing is EXTREME shade tree and not a good idea at all. If your friend had any experience in A/C repair, he would own a set of gauges. I hate to see people attempt stuff like this.

SC

05-16-04, 02:38 PM   #14  
why are they allowed to sell them

why are they allowed to sell them if it is not right to use them and just go ahead pay a guy 100 to 150 dollars while at the same time they tell their friends buy the kit save alot of money
if they are so bad why are they selling them
and why don't they put a guage to check the high side,,, just things that i would like to know before i do it
blackie

05-16-04, 02:56 PM   #15  
Posted By: Blackie why are they allowed to sell them if it is not right to use them and just go ahead pay a guy 100 to 150 dollars while at the same time they tell their friends buy the kit save alot of money
and why don't they put a guage to check the high side,,, just things that i would like to know before i do it
blackie
The kits are sold as a band-aid in place of a proper service, plain and simple. There are no laws against them, at least not yet. The only gauge supplied with the kits is a cheap low-side, because a good manifold gauge set will run $250-300. Wouldn't quite make sense in a "money saving" scheme. Desi and davo both voiced their concerns over the lack of tools, knowledge and training because of the potential dangers involved both to you and the vehicle. You'll not find many pros in this arena who will recommend a/c service for a DIY.

05-16-04, 02:58 PM   #16  
Posted By: Blackie why are they allowed to sell them if it is not right to use them and just go ahead pay a guy 100 to 150 dollars while at the same time they tell their friends buy the kit save alot of money
Because somebody will buy them. That a good enough reason?

Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on "get rich quick" schemes on TV? Same reason.

Search this Thread