93 Ford Explorer/ AC problem

Old 05-17-04, 02:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 93 Ford Explorer/ AC problem

I recently change my AC system in my 93 Explorer from R12 to 134 coolant. I changed all required parts for this procedure and had the system vaccumed down and checked for leaks prior to having it charge up and a local repair shop. It ran fine at first, but lately I noticed the system will blow hot air for a long while (all day) and then the next day its back to blowing normal. I replaced the fuse for the AC thinking that was part of the problem, but it still does it. What gives

Old 05-17-04, 02:23 PM
There is a whole lot more to retrofitting than just putting freon it it. The R12 oil is not compatable with the R134 at all. It turns to jello on contact with R134 and is probably restricting the system. I don't recommend retrofitting at all. A system that was engineered to use R12 will not necessarily work well with R134. Depending what else they may have put into that system, I would remove all of the R134 and refill it with R12. Then see how your system works. You still may have something else wrong but the R134 just makes things worse.

Old 05-17-04, 02:25 PM
D
You have a bad connection.Next time it happens jumper the cycling switch on the accumalator and see if it works.If it does replace the switch,you can do it without losing refrigerant.

Old 05-17-04, 02:31 PM
I never read anything saying the compressor wasn't running. Is that what's happening here? I guess I should have questioned that.

Old 05-17-04, 03:26 PM
When I had the parts changed they used the oil compatible with R134. And yes the compressor is running.

Old 05-17-04, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by unleadedpython
When I had the parts changed they used the oil compatible with R134. And yes the compressor is running.
They may have added the right oil but did they remove all of the old oil? I'm sure they didn't because it would have cost you a condiderable amount to remove those components and the oil inside. I'll say again. Retrofitting is bad.

Old 05-17-04, 05:53 PM
OK, Unfortunately DESI you were wrong and DAVO was right. Myself and one of the maintentence guys at work checked it out and found out that the switch was bad. Already priced another one, ($17.00) and will replace it tomorrow. Thanks for all your info and help guys.

Old 05-17-04, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by unleadedpython
OK, Unfortunately DESI you were wrong and DAVO was right. Myself and one of the maintentence guys at work checked it out and found out that the switch was bad already priced another one ($17.00) and will replace it tomorrow. Thanks for all your info and help guys.
OK, unfortunately you posted some incorrect information stating that the compressor was running which would be impossible with a bad switch. We can only interpret what you tell us. If you report the wrong symptoms, you'll get a wrong diagnosis.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: