Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing Torque converter on 92 chevy truck

Visiting Guest

05-18-04, 05:47 AM   #1  
gbutler
Replacing Torque converter on 92 chevy truck

I'm going to be replacing the torque converter on my 92 chevy c1500 truck 2wd. This is the first time i've done this and had a few questions before I proceed.

1. Do I need to drain the transmission before I do it? (I plan on draining it but didn't want to if it wasn't necessary since it was just flushed.)

2. Is there anything I need to be aware of when installing the new converter such as alignment or do I just slide it on and make sure it stays firmly attached to the pump?

I have a Haynes manual for the truck and it seems straightforward but there's always little details that get left out. I want to be sure I'm not missing anything so any tips are appreciated.

Sponsored Links

05-18-04, 02:35 PM   #2  
Posted By: gbutler I'm going to be replacing the torque converter on my 92 chevy c1500 truck 2wd. This is the first time i've done this and had a few questions before I proceed.

1. Do I need to drain the transmission before I do it? (I plan on draining it but didn't want to if it wasn't necessary since it was just flushed.)

2. Is there anything I need to be aware of when installing the new converter such as alignment or do I just slide it on and make sure it stays firmly attached to the pump?

I have a Haynes manual for the truck and it seems straightforward but there's always little details that get left out. I want to be sure I'm not missing anything so any tips are appreciated.
The only place the transmission may leak is out the tailshaft if you lean it back. They sell plastic plugs to put in there to prevent leakage. I never drain them.

The only thing to be carefull of installing the converter is that you insert it into the pump gently and make sure it is FULLY inserted before replacing the transmission. That means that the most extrem part of the converter is recessed within the bellhousing and the outer shell is almost contacting the bellhousing. You may have to fight will it quite a while to get it in all the way. Once installed fully, do not tilt trans forward. Also measure and mark the spacing between converter bolts. Most converters will only align all bolt holes from one single position. Don't get 3 bolts in to find out the 4th doesn't line up. Only tighten them once all are started. If you meet resistance aigning the trans housing, DON'T FORCE IT WITH THE BOLTS. Chances are, the converter slipped out again. I hope you'll be using a transmission jack.

05-18-04, 02:51 PM   #3  
You will need to rotate a jiggle the converter to get it in you will hear a thump when it goes all the way back.A little hint on the bolts you will see 1 hole that is not round(sort of double d shaped)put the first bolt in there and tighten fully then the other 2 will align to save time and energy.Bolt the trans to the engine first and the converter should move freely if it does the converter is in properly.

Search this Thread