Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

shutting off chry 300m 1999

05-18-04, 02:43 PM   #1  
shutting off chry 300m 1999

My friend has a 99 chrysler 300m which shuts off on him while driving. The engine just shuts down and after about 5 min, it starts up. It has a strong battery,new timming belt,it just spins over. This been going on for 5 days and he took it to the dealership where they performed a diagonistic test. Nothing was found and the dealer stated everthing checked out find. A check of the fuel pump pressure was done by them and was ok. They also said they did a test drive on it and found nothing wrong. He picked up the car,drove it for appox. 5 miles and the same thing happeded again. Any ideas and what could be the problems

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-19-04, 12:22 AM   #2  
mike from nj
i'm curious, did that dealer do the timing belt(and hopefully water pump)? was it replaced for maintenance, or to fix this problem? did this problem crop up just after the timing belt was done?

what to do: with your receipt in hand, politely ask the service advisor if you yourself can take the foreman for a ride as you can easily reproduce the problem. mention that they should bring the 'DRB' with them and make a data recording or simply watch the data as you are driving.

they can't fix something they can't find. whenever i go on the road with a customer, i tell them as long as they can make the problem/noise/vibration happen, i can fix it. it's about 60/40 them being able to reproduce it for me.

05-19-04, 02:45 PM   #3  
the waterpump & timing beltwas replace at the same time for maintenance,about 8000 miles ago,when i pick the car up drove 5 miles it happen i took it back,and they are doing what you talk about but haven`t heard anything,is there any sensor in the timing belt area that could cause that

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 12:00 AM   #4  
mike from nj
there is a sensor in the area, but it's not directly the cause. it's a complicated answer, but it needs to be verified first. (that's what they should be doing)

your friend really needs to duplicate the problem for them.

Search this Thread