Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Overflow tank leak

Visiting Guest

05-18-04, 05:49 PM   #1  
theta1565
Overflow tank leak

Hi, I have a 1995 Plymouth Neon. I just recently moved to Virginia (high traffic area). After driving my car home from work, I noticed a coolant leak on the ground. It looked like it was coming from the bottom of the overflow tank. After letting my car cool (1.5-2 hours), I went back outside to check on it again. It wasn't leaking anymore from what I could tell. However, there was still plenty of coolant in the overflow tank. I'm not sure what's happening. Can anyone help?

Jonathan

Sponsored Links

05-18-04, 05:54 PM   #2  
The car may have been overheating and pushing out into the reserve tank which also has an overflow. When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and see if the system is still full. You may have a leak or a fan problem but you need to see what's missing.

Visiting Guest

05-18-04, 06:10 PM   #3  
theta1565
My radiator doesn't have a cap, but I did check the cap on my top hose and the coolant was full. I went out and checked again and it looks like it dumped the coolant and stopped when the overflow tank was at full. I remember adding coolant to the tank before I moved down here a couple days ago. Is it possible that I put too much in and the system is purging the excess?

Visiting Guest

05-19-04, 12:33 AM   #4  
mike from nj
it's possible.

there is a 'cold' and a 'hot' fill mark. when the engine is cold, it should be lower than when it's fully warmed up. if you fill it completely, it will push some out the overflow part of the bottle.

keep an eye on the temp gauge, as an overheating engine will do the same thing. make sure your fan is working, maybe by putting the a/c on, or wait until the engine reaches 212-220 degrees.

for peace of mind, call any dealer with your vin# and see if there's any missed recalls too.

Visiting Guest

05-19-04, 02:36 PM   #5  
theta1565
I think the leak problem is fixed. However, on my way to work this morning, a check engine light came on. I went to Autozone to have them run diagnostics. The only code they received was Power Steering Pressure Sensor. I checked the fluid and it seems okay. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 12:03 AM   #6  
mike from nj
before you jump to any conclusions, post the exact code number, which starts with a 'p'.

Visiting Guest

05-20-04, 02:19 PM   #7  
theta1565
I went to Autozone and I think the code said P0551. I can't remember if that is exactly what it said. I do remember seeing the readout though. It said "Power Steering Pressure Sensor circuit Range/Performance."

The steering seems to be fine. I don't notice any problems when driving. I appreciate your help.

Search this Thread