89 Pontiac, Firebird

Old 05-18-04, 09:11 PM
MustangMama
Visiting Guest
89 Pontiac, Firebird

1989 Pontiac Firebird with A/C

My daughter can not find a part from a junk yard and they do not make this anymore. It is one of the pieces to the coolant fan relay switch. The relay is fine. The part that is bad is the piece you plug into the relay with the 4 wires. The wires are fine as they were checked out. We would get the car up to 220 and the fan would not turn on. Only time it would is when we pushed the piece more into the relay switch then it would come on and cool the engine down but can't drive it around allot because the slightest bump would break the connection again. Stuck a piece of foil in it for quick fix but can not keep it that way. So..... between the piece and the relay itself, it won't make the connection. Looks like the tiny metal inside are worn down or whatever. It is possible to get other pieces to make a new one to match her car? Like from other types of relay switches under her hood without having to change the whole thing? Wires and all? From other GM cars?
Here is a image of it and where it is under her hood. Top corner right.

SEE SWITCH HERE

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-04, 02:21 AM
It sounds like the pigtail (plug) has deteriorated. Your following the right track by checking the dealers first and then the junkyards. If you ultimately strike out on finding one, you can simply cut it off and replace the connectors on each individual wire and plug them into the relay individually. Be sure to note each wire's location and write it down before starting.

Old 05-19-04, 02:32 AM
if you cant find a pigtail most parts stores will have a universal relay and pigtail that could be intstalled in its place while it will not look exactly the same it should function exactly like the original would assuming it is capable of handling the amperage of the fan motor.

Old 05-19-04, 04:36 AM
MustangMama
Visiting Guest
Thanks Bejay & Desi. Yea, can't find it anywhere. There are other junks yards but so far away. I'll go back to Napa and see if they have a universal and if not, I'll do it Desi's way.

Old 05-23-04, 09:12 AM
MustangMama
Visiting Guest
Well, I got it fixed. I took the pigtail and relay off a Camaro and prayed that the relay was good. Got it from a junkyard. I cut off the other pigtail and all that and wired that puppy up and it works great. Fan kicks on every time at 220 with out fail

Old 05-23-04, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by MustangMama
Well, I got it fixed. I took the pigtail and relay off a Camaro and prayed that the relay was good. Got it from a junkyard. I cut off the other pigtail and all that and wired that puppy up and it works great. Fan kicks on every time at 220 with out fail
Your getting pretty good at this stuff.

Old 05-23-04, 02:14 PM
MustangMama
Visiting Guest
Your getting pretty good at this stuff.
Thanks. I like to dabble with cars. I'd rather try to fix it myself before taking it to a shop. Some see a woman walk in and all they really see is money walking in. I have proven a couple of shops wrong already when I had a Buick. They did not like that too much. Oh well......... Anyways, thanks all for your assistance.

Old 05-25-04, 05:09 AM
MustangMama
Visiting Guest
Oh good grief. Just when you think it is safe to go back into the water
Okay, same car of course and I went down with my daughter to get it inspected. Everything passed except we discovered that the emergency brake did not work so it did not pass. The man pulled all the way up on the handle and he said no brake. I never dealt with brakes in depth before so can you point me in the right direction? Could it be maybe that the cable is loose??? She has till the end of this month beofre her sticker runs out. Thanks in advance.
P.S. I forgot to mention that the guy said this car had drum brakes if that makes a difference. On the back. He said it should be easier to fix.

Last edited by MustangMama; 05-25-04 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 03:22 PM
I would adjust the rear brake shoes and while it's apart have someone lift the parking brake handle to make sure the cables work.If the shoes are worn out replace them while you are in there.It should remedy the problem.

Old 05-25-04, 04:20 PM
MustangMama
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I have to say that ya'll are great here. I really appreciate your help.

Search this Thread