92 eclipse, dropping tranny

Old 05-19-04, 01:22 PM
geerhed
Visiting Guest
92 eclipse, dropping tranny

I've got a '92 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a Cyclone 1.8L Non-Turbo
Four Cylinder engine. Recently the automatic transmission went out, so I have had to drop (or attempt, anyway) the transmission so I can install a new one. Easy, right? Wrong. I can't drop the tranny without removing the starter and the tie rod ends and ball joints. I have unbolted the starter, removed the electrical connections going to the starter, and the stupid thing just swivels on the fly wheel in the torque converter and I can't get it out. The repair manual said to remove the intake manifold stay, and there isn't one, or I never put it back when I put the Cyclone in. I've got to have this done tomorrow, the dropping part anyway...and I'm just stumped about this starter. I'm also stumped about the the nut on the ball joint...I have unscrewed it and it is off the threads, but the nut won't come off because it is hitting the wheel end of the half-shaft. I have lowered the car, raised the car, jiggled the A-arm around, and tried to move it, but I can't mandhandle it enough to do anything. I am very frustrated and spent the better part of a day trying to remove the starter and the balljoint. If anyone can help me (the starter is my biggest problem) I would be very grateful. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-04, 12:17 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the starter can stay there. as long as it's unbolted, even with the wires still hooked up. all you need to do is push it away from the trans like 1/2 inch.

the axles are the hardest part. if you unbolt the axle nut, and push it (the axle) in slightly, there will be enough room to take the ball joint nut out. the ball joints are a tapered fit and require some hard hammering ON THE KNUCKLE, while prying the lower a-arm down to get them out. then, you will need a large prybar to pop the axle from the trans and you better have a bucket under it too.

if the trans is all burnt up, you will need to flush the trans cooler inside the radiator and make sure it's not plugged up or just partially blocked, or you will be doing this all over again very shortly.

there's also one 'hard to get to' bolt on the back of the trans, under the starter, and don't forget the torque converter bolts too.

what's a cyclone???

Old 05-20-04, 01:11 AM
geerhed
Visiting Guest
cyclone is just the name of the engine mfr.
it's not the stock mits engine...but when i put it in i noticed some junkyard numbers....i can't move the starter even a half inch away form the tranny. and the repair manual said to actually remove it, but i will try to drop the tranny with the starter not removed...