Power window will not close

Old 05-19-04, 02:34 PM
Power window will not close

I have a 1993 Ford Tempo GL. The rear passenger power window lowered to the open position and now it will not raise to the closed position. My question for now is can I manually close this window. I took off the interior to the door and tried lifting the window by hand but it will not lift. Is there a release some where so I can manually pull the window up. Thanks for any help looks like rain on its way..Compaqguy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-04, 08:10 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
Rear window motors get used so little that they tend to not wotk when needed. And always seem to fail in the down position. Lack of use and/or possibly water leaking down the door into the motor are most likely the cause.

First, try the technique which may save you time. Bang on the inside of the door with your fist or rubber mallet while at the same time pressing the up button. If there is a dead spot in the motor, this sometimes works.

Beyond that, to disassemble rear window on rear door of Tempo;
Start by removing the inner door panel. Then the rear portion of the window run channel rubber must be removed. You shouldn't need to remove the whole thing. Just the rear portion. Then the rear run channel must be removed to facilitate the minipulation of the window glass. This is done by removal of screw at top of door window frame and bolt which is either on the inside of the door or in the rear door jamb. At this point the run channel can be removed, the little quarter glass comes out with it. Slide top of channel toward front of car and pull out of door. At this point, the door glass can be removed by sliding it off the track of the power regulator.
A rebuilt motor-regulator should be readily available at a decent auto parts store. To remove the regulator you need to drill out the monobolts (rivets).
Bolts with locknuts can be used to assemble.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-20-04, 04:14 AM
Thanks excellent answer!

Sure sounds like I can do this. Thanks for explaining in laymans terms and further explaining how to remove the motor. I think that is the problem there is rust on the outside of the motor. Will try tapping motor first. Thnks again.

Old 05-20-04, 09:20 AM
Re..Window

I took off the inside panel to the door held the power button and tapped the motor. Guess what it worked window is now up. Just wanted to say thanks one more time for all your good advice. Saved me some bucks for sure and looks better than a piece of plastic over window!

Old 05-20-04, 08:23 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
No problem!
Always glad to help with the auto glass problems.