won't start

Old 05-20-04, 11:27 AM
tebe
Visiting Guest
won't start

I have an 82 el camino. the starter was replaced 3 or 4 mo. ago. I did not have any trouble with it until it was stolen. I had the steering column and wheel replaced. It started ok for a couple of weeks. When I turn the key it makes a single click sound. I checked and made sure the connections are tight. The ground to the neg. cable to inside fender looks a little rusty. I started doing all kinds of things like moving the gear selector from P to L
The starter did turn over and started for a second but stalled. It had not been started in over a week. Now its back to the single click. I did have an extra battery which I installed and I get the same results. Is their something I'm missing here. Your suggestions are apprecieated.

Old 05-20-04, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Recheck and clean/replace any suspect cables.You might also try rapping on the starter body a couple of times with a hammer (being careful not to beat on anything breakable). If the engine then turns over, bad starter.

Old 05-20-04, 01:35 PM
tebe
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding tow-guy,
Yeah, I'm going to replace entire neg. cable...its suspect. I did tap on the starter a couple of times and it did not start. So Its probably not the starter...right? I can't tell if wires on starter/solinoid are ok.

Old 05-20-04, 02:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Make sure the battery is fully charged and if you are going to replace the neg cable may as well do the pos also.Don't buy the cheap skinny cables buy the more expensive fat cables.If you got that starter at a discount chain and bought the house brand shame on you they are junk.You can buy a good starter from them as well an A/C Delco reman.Let us know how it goes after the cable replacements.

Old 05-21-04, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Like Davo said, good cables and a fully charged battery first. Unfortunately the whack-it-with-a-hammer test is not absolute. If you rap it a few times and it works, usually a good bet starter is bad; the diagnosis is not nearly as certain if you rap it and it DOESN'T start. Had starter on my wrecker go bad a while back; stalled the engine right after hooking up to a car and got the one-loud-click response to turning the key. Think I beat on that thing for about 15 minutes before getting it to crank (and kept the engine running the rest of the morning until I could pick up a starter for it).

Old 05-23-04, 01:16 AM
tebe
Visiting Guest
okay...battery tested good - cables good - same results.
I also had someone bypass the battery and jump/quickstart starter...I'm not sure what the correct term for that is but all that happened is the wheel in starter spun...was told could be solenoid but not sure?
I also was hoping their was a to start so I can move vehicle in a better spot to work on.

Old 05-23-04, 05:00 AM
D
Check for battery voltage at the starter,then check for battery voltage at the small purple wire while the ignition is held in the crank mode.You may have a bad ignition switch or park/neutral safety switch.If you have battery voltage in both of the above tests the solenoid is bad.This assumes that your checks were done properly.I only say this because when the positive cable was bypassed the starter motor turned meaning if you only eyeballed the cables they could still be bad.Let us know what you get from these 2 voltage tests.

Old 05-27-04, 08:44 AM
tebe
Visiting Guest
davo, i did not see your post til today. to update, after checking cables, ground and connections i still on would get a click. i started moving gear selecter from P to L several times and i noticed starter wheel spun hear and there. I kept doing the same thing several more times and eventually the car started. Now I did move it to an place I feel comfortable work at. After I shut off engine, I tried to start again and started wheel/gear would spin...????

I don't know if this coincides with park/neutral switch...like I said earlier the vehicle was stolen and a used steering column was installed....i'm not sure what is involved park/neutral switch.

Old 05-27-04, 06:50 PM
You should do the tests that Davo suggested. I think thats where you are going to find out that your problem lies. I think it is mere coincidence that you got it to start while messing with the shifter. The fact that the starter is turning but not engaging the flywheel leads me to believe that you have a solenoid problem.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: