1990 Toyota Corolla-Check engine light stays on+?

Old 05-20-04, 12:05 PM
rock13979
Visiting Guest
1990 Toyota Corolla-Check engine light stays on+?

Hello all:
I just put my 1990 Toyota Corolla back on the road it had been siting for about 3 years. When the engine is cold the car starts rough and will heistate or cut off when steping on the gas pedal. But once it warms up everything is find. What could cause it to do this? Also the check engine light always is staying on. What are some things to cause the check engine light to remain on? I have change the wires,spark plugs,distributor cap. Also checked the pvc valve. These problems only came about after having the car sit for the 3 year period.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-04, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Lots of possibilities here. Likely you have a fuel problem. Was the gas tank full and have a stabilizer in it? If not your problem may be stale gas and/or water in the tank. For starters you can try a bottle of "Heet" or other water remover in the tank. If the gas is stale, using it up and getting fresh stuff back in the tank may clear it up. Barring that, there are a number of fuel system parts that could have gotten gummed up by the inactivity.
For the check engine light, again, lots of possibilities on a car that sat for three years. Best bet, find an AutoZone parts store near you; they will do a free reading on stored codes. Post back here what you find and go from there. On older model cars like yours it's also sometimes possible to read your own codes by jumpering pins on the diagnostic connector and counting flashes of the check engine light. You'll need a repair manual (Haynes or Chilton, etc) for the exact procedure and a listing of problems associated with the codes. Finding and fixing the cause of the check engine light may have the bonus of fixing the other problems you are having.

Old 05-20-04, 02:33 PM
You need to get the codes read somewhere.I personally would put a new fuel filter in it and some good gas.3 years of sitting could be anything even wires chewed by mice.Give it a thorough visual inspection.

Old 05-25-04, 07:24 AM
rock13979
Visiting Guest
Update

I went to auto zone to get the codes read but was told they only could read 1996 or later vehicles. I changed the gas filter and put some good gas in also i added a bottle of heet to the gas tank. Ichanged the rotor and pvc valve. I still have the same problem on a cold start up and check engine light remains on. I tryed a test by which I disconected the oxygen sensor wire, there was no changed in performance. does that mean the oxygen sensor is not working? I mean I expected the motor to mis or shake or something but there was no change with the wire disconnected or connected. Could this be the problem or one of the problems?
Thanks in advance

Old 05-25-04, 11:03 AM
Look for a diagnostic service connector near the windshield wiper motor
With the cover off, you should see a group of 6 terminals over a group of 9
You want to jump the upper left terminal (of the 9) to the middle terminal (of the 9) using a jumper wire and "read" the number of flashes the check engine light makes
Ex: flash pause flash flash flash pause =13

With the engine warmed up, put it in neutral and turn off all accessories
Turn off the engine then turn the key to "on"-but don't start it
Then jump the terminals and read the code

Old 05-26-04, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
First I've heard that Auto Zone can only read newer vehicles.

tg