Voyager A/C Problems

Old 05-24-04, 06:59 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Question Voyager A/C Problems

I have a 93 Ply Voyager SE 3.3L. Last summer my A/C didn't feel as cold as it used to.

But I had planned on getting a new vehicle this spring so we just made do with it. However we wasn't able to trade this spring. (gonna have to make her last one more year!)

So we bought a recharge kit at Wal-mart one night last week. It showed the coolant just a little low. So we added enough to get it in the specified range. When compressor would kick in it was a little below 25. When the compressor disengaged it would go up to about 40. It seemed to me the compressor was cycling on and off a lot but I don't know maybe they are suppose to do that.

Anyhow the air felt pretty cold but still didn't seem like it had once felt. On Sunday my hubby and kids were waiting in the van for me at Lowe's. Hubby said it was cooling good then it began to get warmer. So when I came out it was not cooling at all. Hubby checked under hood and compressor was disengaged. So it hasn't worked since.

Please Help We have to take our baby to a speciality hospital at end of June and really need to get the A/C working before then as it is a long trip.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-04, 03:20 AM
Your base problem is you have a prety substantial leak. You didn't add enoug freon to fill the system and it's probably a good thing because it leaked right back out. Take it to a reputable shop that does a lot of A/C repairs and have it leak tested. This usually costs less that $30. Don't continue to add freon as you will end up damaging the compressor and having even worse problems. You need to be really carefull messing with freon as it can turn into a bomb in your hand if you don't know what your doing.

Old 05-27-04, 05:07 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Since compressor does not run, Hubby thinks it is the relay or fuse. We found where relay was located at by going on Autozone website. But hubby is going to try running a wire straight to the compressor just to see if it will kick on. He had to do this with his old car and then he just put a toggle switch inside to flip it on when he needed it. However I want to buy the relay or whatever it is I need so it runs like it is suppose to.

Old 05-27-04, 05:28 PM
McDann
Visiting Guest
Most likely the A/C stopped working because it is under charged due to a leak. If it leaked the refrigerant it also leaked oil out of the system. If you bypass the low pressure safeguards and force the compressor to run you may kill the compressor. These safeguards are there for a reason. Have the system check by a professional as was suggested.

Old 05-27-04, 05:38 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Hubby Just touched wire to the compressor for a second to make sure the compressor would engage. It does so at least we know the compressor will run again. after some research I think we will try a GP Sorensen AC42 relay. This only cost $8.69 at local store. So I think it would be a good place to start as local repair shops are very expensive, even to just check out a system.
Thanks for all the input!! Any more info??

Old 05-27-04, 06:12 PM
OK, are you asking for advice or just attacking it your way. Never change a relay until you've checked the circuits and found it to be faulty.
You have a leak!
You are out of freon.
The leak must be found and repaired
You have to have it leak tested since you don't have the equipment. Don't jump the compressor again unless you want to ruin it and don't throw parts at it unless your wealthy. Hubby is not a mechanic and needs to listen to some.

Old 05-27-04, 06:19 PM
I doubt very seriously that you have a relay issue. All he did by touching that wire was to bypass the electrical system and essentially override the safeguards as already mentioned. The compressor will not run when the freon levels (pressure) is not sufficient. You really need to have someone qualified check out the system. The meager fee to test the system will certainly be much less that the repair you ultimately will have to make if you bypass the relay or switch.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 05-27-04, 06:23 PM
McDann
Visiting Guest
I think Desi501s avatar kinda sums up this thread.

Last edited by McDann; 05-27-04 at 06:51 PM.

Search this Thread