Alignment question

Old 05-25-04, 07:19 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
Alignment question

1998 Ford expedition 4x4 5.4L, air supension. I just had 4 new tire installed, they were unable to do thge alignment, told me that the camber was too far off for them to repair, said it was dealer only, is this a costly repair, and i notice when i pulled off my truck would shake, would this have something to do with the alignment or balancing. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-04, 10:30 AM
I don't know how experienced the people that did your alignment were but nowadays many vehicles are not adjustable when they leave the factory, however there are many aftermarket kits available to modify these situations. A common thing the Fords do is they give you a slotted bolt hole to move the control arm back and forth but they install a lock plate over the bolt so it cannot be moved. What you have to do in that instance is they make a cam that is installed in place of the plate and it will be adjustable from that point on. You need to bring it to a shop that is more experienced in alignment and stocks these kits. There obviously will be extra charges to do this but the end result is a perfect alignmet. On your other question, no, the wheel alignment will not cause shimmey. That's an issue with wheel balance, bent wheel or out of round tire.

Old 05-25-04, 02:13 PM
If it didn't shake prior to the tire replacement make them recheck their work pronto.They may have bent a wheel,left one loose,bent the driveshaft or not balanced the tires properly,outside chance one of the new tires are bad.