Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Steering Column Lock removal

Visiting Guest

05-26-04, 08:39 PM   #1  
bjmoreh1
Steering Column Lock removal

Does anyone know how to remove the locking pin from the steering column of a 2001 Blazer? Professionals that I have talked to have been completely unable and/or unwilling to help.

I need to disable the steering column lock to facilitate towing of the car behind a motor home.

Thanks,
Bruce

Sponsored Links

05-27-04, 03:38 AM   #2  
How about just turning the key to the "unlock" position?

05-27-04, 09:59 AM   #3  
If you look in your owners manual it will tell what you need to know to tow the vehicle safely.I'm curious to know why you need the steering unlocked to tow it most tow truck drivers use devices to attempt to lock the steering for towing.

05-27-04, 02:18 PM   #4  
Posted By: davo I'm curious to know why you need the steering unlocked to tow it most tow truck drivers use devices to attempt to lock the steering for towing.
I suspect he's flat towing with a tow-bar.

Group Moderator

FL

05-27-04, 03:16 PM   #5  
Bruce, if you're towing it on the flat with a towbar as Desi opined, simply turn the key to the unlock position as he suggests. If you are towing with the drive wheels on the ground, you are going to have to do one of two things to prevent transmission damage: (1) Disconnect the driveshaft, or (2) Have the engine running to provide proper lubrication/cooling. Towing on the drive wheels with engine off on your Blazer is limited to 35 MPH and a lifetime cummulative distance of 50 miles (ref: GM towing manual). Alternatively, get a tow dolly and tow it backwards with the rear wheels in the dolly; in this configuration you would lock the steering. I'm assuming you have a 2WD; 4WD is much more involved.

TX

05-27-04, 03:34 PM   #6  
Flat tow how to

I have towed a 76 Chevy malibu (big car) from California to TX what I did is remove the drive shaft disconnect the battery turn key to unlock and that's it. I used the magnetic lights on the trunk. I also put some cardboard on the front of the chevy to keep gravel damage to a minimum.
All flat tows must be done with the steering unlocked.

WV

05-27-04, 06:29 PM   #7  
That is the suggestion I made in the posters previous post. I dont think it is a safe move to disable a factory installed safety device and that is the reason I did not tell you HOW to do it. It can be done quite easily by someone with good mechanical know how, but thats not a suggestion to do so. I agree with Tow Guys recommendations. Safety is the number 1 concern and disabling safety devices steps over those bounds. We are here to help!!!
Billy

Search this Thread