Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Back-up Lights not working

Visiting Guest

05-28-04, 05:24 AM   #1  
Charlaur
Back-up Lights not working

My daughter drives a 1996 Pontiac Sunbird with 71000 miles and in good mechanical condition except for the back up lights not working....The guys at our local automotive store have helped us check power to the bulb, which is working and now suggests checking the switch. He couldn't tell me where to locate the switch. Can anyone tell me where this switch is and how hard it is to repair, if necessary....what would something like this cost. My 24 yr old and I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, Mom

Sponsored Links

05-28-04, 03:13 PM   #2  
the switch for the back up lights is usually combined with the nuetral safety switch located on transmission at gear selector assuming it is an automatic transmission.
a wiring diagram of the circuit would be needed for testing the switch which usually supplies power to the back up lights but in some vehicles may supply ground to the back up lights.

WV

05-28-04, 06:36 PM   #3  
The backup lamp switch is located on the front of the transaxle toward the rear. It is likely a 2 wire connector.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

ME

05-31-04, 06:02 PM   #4  
I had a similiar problem with my old Chevy S-10 (manual trans). The back-up lights would work when the car had just started up, but would cease to work once the vehicle warmed up. I replaced the switch (which was located underneath on the transmission) and that solved the problem. It was just a small $12 part that looked a lot like a spark plug. When they get old, the heat apparantly can get to them.

Search this Thread