1990 chevy custom van won't stay running

Old 05-28-04, 09:28 PM
cscrab
Visiting Guest

1990 chevy custom van with a 350 engine. Has stalled and died. When it does start you have to keep the gas pedal pressed down to keep it running, once you release the gas pedal the engine dies. The plugs have been changed, still the same problem. Have spent 200.00 dollars on parts trying to get this problem repaired. Can someone please help me with this problem?
What could be causing this? It was running fine after I bought it then just out of no where it started this problem..Please help

Thanks,
Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-04, 10:33 PM
a better description of the problem first, will it start all the time and just not idle with out pressing on the accelerator?
does it have any running problems at higher rpm like above idle?
is the check engine light on while it is running?
what work have you had done to it besides new plugs.

Old 05-29-04, 07:26 AM
cscrab
Visiting Guest
1990 chevy van won't stay running

have replaced the coil, plugs. I am doing this for my nephew because he does not have internet access. The engine will start, BUT you have to keep the gas pedal pressed down to keep it running. It will not idle..just dies.
Please help.

Craig

Old 05-29-04, 07:51 AM
cscrab
Visiting Guest
1990 chevy van won't stay running

ok, here is a description of what happened and what has been replaced.
The muffler was rotted out and had to be replaced, right after that the problem started, found out that the catalytic converter was stopped up, so had that replaced, then replaced the plugs, dist.cap, & rotor. Still the engine will not idle. All of this started when the stopped up catalytic converter was on the van. No check engine lights are, it has 130,000 miles.
The engine will start but the only way to keep it running is by holding the gas pedal down, no problems at high rpm, it now dies at idle.
Can you please help us with this problem, what problems could happen with a stopped up catalytic converter?
Please help.

Thanks so much,
Craig

Old 05-29-04, 08:11 AM
well there could be alot of things that could cause this problem so for starters try cleaning the iac motor located on the right side of the throttle body use some carb cleaner and remove the iac and clean the pintle.
also check the egr valve located on the intake manifold behind the throttle body may be stuck open partially may need to remove egr and try cleaning. or vacum may be getting applied to it when you start it up it should not have any vacum going to the egr at idle if it does may have bad egr vacum solenoid.
if you have a timing light suggest also checking ignition timing by unplugging the single wire connector located near distributer tan wire with a black stripe I think specs calls for 0 degrees which would be the deepest v notch on the indicator may need to slide out washer bottle to be able to see indicator.

Old 05-29-04, 12:58 PM
cscrab
Visiting Guest

bejay, We followed your last suggestions and did find a bad sensor, spent 30.00 dollars to replace it..and still have the same problem.
Please what do you suggest now?

Craig