Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starter shim question

Visiting Guest

05-29-04, 02:10 AM   #1  
stumped04
starter shim question

Just replaced starter on my 84 Pontiac Parisienne (305 Chevy ) and it starts fine but makes a sound almost like an air ratchet with no load on it when the solenoid disengages. I think it needs a shim. My question is how do I determine where and how much shim I need?

Sponsored Links

05-29-04, 08:31 AM   #2  
well if the old starter had a shim installed you should probably install the old shim any parts store should have chevy starter shims usually comes in a package with a few different sizes, you will need to know your bolt pattern on your starter to get the correct shim style the bolt holes on the starter are either straight across or are angled.
the shims will have one sloted end and one hole wich will allow you to install the shim by removing one bolt and loosening the other one and sliding the shim in between block and starter I would try a few different thickness shims to see if it fixes the abnormal sound it is possible that something could be wrong with the starter, there would be no need to shim it over 100 thousands before getting a replacement starter in my opinion.

Search this Thread