Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rattling sound

Visiting Guest

05-29-04, 12:48 PM   #1  
chocolatespeed
rattling sound

Upon acceleration , either lightly or moderately, I hear this loud noise like it is a gasket or exhaust leak. It's on the passenger side. When taking a look today I noticed that one of the header mounting bolts was missing. I believe this may be the culprit, and if so, I think part of the bolt may have broken off inside the cylinder. How, can I be sure that there isn't a piece inside? And, if that is the case would I be able to extract it myself? Or do I have to take it to a professional to have the cylinder head remove in order to have it pulled out? One more thing, will I do any damage to the engine by driving it in this condition? Any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

05-29-04, 01:15 PM   #2  
The bolt goes into the head and will not fall into the cylinder. Depending on your skill and the amount of room you have in this area, the remaining bolt can be center drilled and removed with an e z out. Other than some noise and exhaust gases escaping into the engine compartment. You should be able to drive until you decide whether it is a D.I.Y job, or one for a pro.

05-29-04, 02:23 PM   #3  
Chances are, that broke from vibration and probably is not in there too tightly. Sometime you can take a small punch and tap gently in a counterclockise direction and back it out that way. Another trick is to us a small "reverse rotation" drill and bit and when you start drilling, the bolt will thread right out.

Visiting Guest

05-29-04, 09:55 PM   #4  
chocolatespeed
rattling sound

I understand the gist about how to extract the header mounting bolt from the head, due to you guys insightful descriptive suggestions; however, just as "Goldstar" stated about having enough room to do this presents me with a tough task. I have a 5.0 mustang and the passenger side of the engine bay seems like it would be difficult to negotiate any tools, in order to do the job sufficiently. So, if you guys could suggest what is the best way to tackle this. I'll definitely be paying close attention. Addendum: Does the header have to be remove? And if not, would the replacement of a new bolt affect the head gasket when tightened?

05-30-04, 05:24 AM   #5  
Take a small screwdriver and probe the hole where the bolt goes.Header bolts come loose and usually fall out and not break.The header gasket may or may not need replaced depends on how long it's been driven that way.After you install and tighten the new header bolt warm the engine to operating temp,turn the engine off and retighten all of your header bolts.You should check them on a regular basis like once every couple months if you drive alot.

05-30-04, 07:00 AM   #6  
Ouch, a 5.0 Mustang. That makes things tough. Welcome to our world....lol
As Davo said, try to thread the old piece out through the header hold. Sometimes a small pick will get the job done. If that piece is in there solidly, you have a pretty big problem. Possibly removing motor mounts and jacking the engine to one side and using a right angle drill may help but it won't be easy. If you use a drill it is very important that it is done with precision so as to remain within the bolt itself without straying through the wall of the bolt, not easy. Pray you can get it out with a pick. Be sure not to use anything that will damage the outer threads any further.

WV

05-30-04, 07:26 AM   #7  
I tend to agree with Davo, that the bolts usually just vibrate out and dont break. Is this actual headers or OE cast iron exhaust manifolds? I have had the same thing happen many times on the old Chevys I built years ago. It got so aggrivating at times that I finally went back to stock manifolds on my old truck. Now with the advent of locks for the header bolts there is hope. I bought a set (from Summit Racing) to install with my headers on my 69 Chevelle when I get to that step.
Billy

Search this Thread