Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1996 dodge caravan

05-29-04, 05:00 PM   #1  
1996 dodge caravan

when the car has been standing for a while its hard to start it turns over many times then starts. if i get out of car and get back in soon it starts right away .any help

Sponsored Links

05-29-04, 05:22 PM   #2  
Posted By: jim millett if i get out of car and get back in soon it starts right away .any help
Sounds spooky to me. Maybe you need a remote starter to keep the car happy.

05-30-04, 05:35 PM   #3  
i was looking for ideas not jokes but tks anyways i think? is there anyway the gas can be the problem , the gas filter ,its like i have to turn it over too many times . like priming a pump and then once is starts its ok for awhile .but when its been sitting for awhile you have to turn it over to prime it again.like a water pump and the check valve is open is there something like that in the car that could be letting the gas go back to the gas tank ?????

05-30-04, 06:49 PM   #4  
It is possible the fuel pump is weak or siphoning back in the tank. Your going to have to put a fuel pressure gauge on it to determine that.
You gotta admit, it's a little strange to get out of the car and back in to make it start. I'm sure you meant something different, it just didn't come out that way.

05-30-04, 08:40 PM   #5  
i ment when the car is parked all night and i start it in the morning its hard to start. if i take a trip to the store to buy stuff and get back into the car its starts right up or stop to get gas ,it starts right up but if it is not run for awhile its hard to start

05-31-04, 02:16 AM   #6  
Posted By: jim millett i ment when the car is parked all night and i start it in the morning its hard to start. if i take a trip to the store to buy stuff and get back into the car its starts right up or stop to get gas ,it starts right up but if it is not run for awhile its hard to start
I understand what you meant. Like I said, your going to have to check the fuel pressure when it won't start.

06-26-04, 07:54 AM   #7  
close this thread

Search this Thread