94 buick lesabre wont go

Old 05-29-04, 05:02 PM
construction hand
94 buick lesabre wont go

I have a 94 buick lesabre 3.8L . The problem with it is when i accelerate too fast it dies. The i have to wait 5 or 6 minutes to start it again. If i dont accelerate while its running i can idle up to speed. Ive changed the fuel filter and pump to no avail. Should i put more gas into it since i only put a gallon? Should i try a higher octane or pour gas treater? I start it and it runs fine , once i accelerate it stops.......just like i turned the key off. What should i look for now?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-04, 05:47 AM
Putting more gas in would help but you need to find out if you are losing spark or fuel when it won't start and if you have injector pulse.

Old 05-30-04, 07:32 AM
Im betting you are losing Fuel Pressure as a gallon of gas is barely enough to wet the sump. When you accelerate you are uncovering the pump and it is sucking air. But as Davo suggested, you need to check the basics before you condemn any component.
Billy

Old 05-30-04, 08:58 AM
construction hand
The thing that strikes me as weird is when the car dies, I have to turn the key off completely for a second and it will start after i do that. But it dies after 3 seconds of running whether the pedal is pressed or not. But if i leave it alone for a day or two it runs pretty good for a awhile on idle. I cant tell if its electrical or fuel.

Old 05-30-04, 11:08 AM
Since the fuel pump is in the tank you can almost be assured that you will once again replace the fuel pump. The reason being is that the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank, keeping one gallon of gas in the car is asking for trouble. Fill up the car and if you're getting spark your trouble should go away.