Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Chevy Blazer Door

Visiting Guest

05-31-04, 08:34 AM   #1  
Tommy2Times
89 Chevy Blazer Door

89 Chevy Blazer 4WD 4.3
Drivers side door
I am not a car guy so please bear with me......
When you close the door...the post that sticks out of the "?pillar?" broke off and fell inside that pillar. It seems the hinges were loose on the door and the latch was hitting that post. After time, the post broke off. This is a good truck that'll go another 126K and I'd hate to get rid of it for a seemingly small problem. Is there a cheap way to fix this without cutting that pillar and welding the post on from the inside? Is there some kit I can buy? Thanks.

Sponsored Links

WV

05-31-04, 04:24 PM   #2  
Not real sure what you are talking about. Do you think you could take a picture of it and post it here so we can get a feel of what you are talking about?
Billy

Visiting Guest

05-31-04, 05:01 PM   #3  
Tommy2Times
I can't take a pic yet, so let me try again..When you close the door normally, the latch grabs a post that sticks out. This post totally broke off, so I can't close my door. I can't think of an easy way to fix...

WV

05-31-04, 05:13 PM   #4  
You are talking about the striker. It should be threaded into the post. If it broke off then you should still be able to replace the striker without too much difficulty. I would guess that there is a piece stuck in the threads from where it broke and if you can get that out then you will be on your way.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

05-31-04, 05:17 PM   #5  
Tommy2Times
Actually the post remained entact, but from getting wacked repeatedly, and bending back and forth, the metal around the post tore like a spiderweb and the whole post assembly came out. The whole that was left is now to large and all torn up and the post won't stay in. That is the problem,

05-31-04, 05:23 PM   #6  
That doesn't leave many options beside rebuilding the metal on the pillare and welding. Sounds like a job for an auto body shop. It can be fixed but they'll have to do some fabricating and you'll have to repair the original hinge problem.

WV

05-31-04, 06:09 PM   #7  
Ditto on what Desi said. You got a tough job ahead of you there. I would definately take it to a body shop to have that repaired.
Billy

Visiting Guest

06-02-04, 04:21 AM   #8  
peaclynn
Or if you know how to weld just do it yourself.

Visiting Guest

06-02-04, 02:31 PM   #9  
Tommy2Times
Thanks a lot, guess I gotta find a welder buddy!

Search this Thread