Do You Replace the PVC Valve When You Rebuild An Engine?

Old 05-31-04, 06:18 PM
Do You Replace the PVC Valve When You Rebuild An Engine?

Son's 94 Eagle Talon, had an Engine rebuild. Right after he got it back, he noticed the oil dip stick would pop out. Someone told him there was too much pressure building up and it might be becuase the PVC valve was bad. Took it back to the mechanic and he confirmed the PVC valve needed to be replaced. He ordered one that should be here this week.

In the meantime, son, used electrical tape to hold the dip stick down with. Mechanic OK"d it, didn't say take it easy on the car, etc.

We'll today the oil light came on... son cut car off... coasted home and all his oil poured out!

From what I have been told, the crank seal busted because of too much pressure and combustion.

Had the same person tell me that he always either replaces the PVC valve when he rebuilds an engine, or at least makes sure it is flowing, breathing right.

We are towing it to the mechanic to fix, no charge. Timing belt and everything will have to be replaced again cause there is oil all over it.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-04, 11:19 PM
???

I can't imagine that after an engine rebuild someone would not repalce a $2 PCV valve.

I can't speculate on the loss of oil as there are too many other possibilites.

Tony

Old 06-01-04, 03:29 AM
Something sounds a little strange here. That's an awful lot of crankcase pressure to blame on a faulty PCV valve. You may be looking at more than a PCV valve here. It really shouldn't have that much pressure on a freshly rebuilt engine. There may be a ring issue there also.

Old 06-01-04, 04:02 AM
What kind of tests should be run?

A standard compression test?

Is there anything else?

The mechanic is having the car towed down this am.

Would turbos and high performance cars not have a lot of pressure? How can the rings be tested?

Old 06-01-04, 02:37 PM
You could do a compression test but I'd first just repair the PCV system and see what kind of crankcase pressure you have then.

Old 06-01-04, 05:24 PM
If it didn't blow out oil before the rebiuld I think the rebuild went bad or the tech made a mistake with a hose connection.I don't think the pcv valve went bad sitting on bench or a box in the shop.

Old 06-02-04, 06:41 PM
What happens if the place that changes your oil doesn't remove the old gasket before putting on a new oil filter with gasket??

You GUESSED IT!!!!!!

Guess who owes us a tow bill, a car rental, and another rebuilt engine, timing belt, etc???

WAL-MART!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-04, 01:58 AM
That doesn't explain the dipstick popping out though.

Old 06-03-04, 04:01 AM
That doesn't explain the dipstick popping out though.

Actually, it does. As soon as he drove it home from WalMart the stick was popping out. Everyone related it to son driving the car more normal, cause it was after the 500 mile break in and he was now getting the rpm's up over 3000.

THe two gaskets caused too much pressure, and caused the dip stick to pop out. When son taped the dip stick down temporarily until the PVC valve was installed, the pressure blew the whole gasket and filter.

Old 06-03-04, 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by foreverkeeps
What happens if the place that changes your oil doesn't remove the old gasket before putting on a new oil filter with gasket??

You GUESSED IT!!!!!!

Guess who owes us a tow bill, a car rental, and another rebuilt engine, timing belt, etc???

WAL-MART!!!!!!!!!
Mentioning a recent oil change instead of a recent rebuild would have saved time and typing for me anyhow.You made it sound like this happened on the way home from the rebuilder not wally world.

Old 06-03-04, 01:22 PM
THe two gaskets caused too much pressure, and caused the dip stick to pop out. When son taped the dip stick down temporarily until the PVC valve was installed, the pressure blew the whole gasket and filter.
That's ridiculous! The two gaskets didn't cause anything except maybe a leak and that tape didn't hold back anything. Your still barking up the wrong tree for a blowby problem.

Old 06-03-04, 02:41 PM
The oil is pouring out from the blown gasket and oil filter. And I did fail to mention that the dip stick popping out started after driving home from Walmart. That was after the first 500 miles of driving with no problem, then after the oil change at 500 miles he drove it up to 3000 rpms.

But you don't think it's the oil change?

Old 06-03-04, 03:14 PM
But you don't think it's the oil change?
No, there is absolutely no relationship between an oil filter and crankcase pressure. A bad oil leak, yes...blowby and crankcase pressure, no

Is your air filter getting any oil on it?

Old 06-03-04, 04:36 PM
The dipstick was popped up because the quick lube kid didn't push it back in.The dipstick is pulled up so the oil can be pumped in without spilling over.

Old 06-03-04, 05:19 PM
I am confused

Was the engine rebulit or not?I can not see how two gaskets can make too much oil pressure.I can see a leak.A plugged PVC will cause too much crankcase pressure were it will pop out the dipstick.And if you tape it down it blows seals.

Old 06-03-04, 07:06 PM
The engine was rebuilt. It was running perfect until driving away from Walmart.

The dip stick kept continuously popping up until it was taped down.

Prior to the oil change, the dip stick never popped up.

Old 06-04-04, 03:36 AM
Prior to the oil change, the dip stick never popped up.
Then maybe you should have it changed again elsewhere just in case the weight of the oil may have something to do with the problem. The only other possible cause is that Wal-Mart used a lighter oil this time and the engine actually does have blowby previously being masked by heavier oils. No matter how you call, it's going to come down to compression leaking past the rings to cause that. The only thing that may help is the PCV but I doubt that suddenly became blocked.

Old 06-06-04, 11:17 AM
The same castrol oil was used at the rebuild and at Walmart when they changed the oil.

Old 06-07-04, 04:53 PM
Wal-Mart's insurance company is supposed to send out an inspector from some inspections company tomorrow. They told the mechanic to drop the oil pan so they could see there.

Should have affirmation on everything soon.

Old 06-08-04, 04:04 AM
Their not going to find any causes for blowby down there but that wouldn't be there responsibility anyway. They're probably going to tell you the same thing. Nothing Wal Mart did is making that dipstick come out.

Old 06-08-04, 04:13 AM
If nothing Walmart did caused the dip stick to pop out, then why did it start as as soon as we drove home and ot before.

And why did the 2nd gasket fail and blow oil out the oil filter if the problem wasn't caused by the 2nd gasket?

WDYT?

Old 06-08-04, 09:07 AM
If nothing Walmart did caused the dip stick to pop out, then why did it start as as soon as we drove home and ot before.

And why did the 2nd gasket fail and blow oil out the oil filter if the problem wasn't caused by the 2nd gasket?

WDYT?
The gasket is nothing but a rubber seal recessed in a groove to hold in in place. If you stack two of them, then you have nothing to hold the second one in place and the oil pressure will just push it out and cause it to leak. Your oil filter didn't "blow". It merely pushed out the extra gasket. Your not the first one that has happened to. Oil pressure does not create crankcase pressure. Compression leaking by the rings does. Changing oil cannot cause blowby. ( if that's what's really happening to you)

Old 06-16-04, 03:09 PM
A contracted investigator went to the shop last week and confirmed that the two gaskets caused lower engine damage.

The claim is finally approved! They have me in a 2004 Malibu through Enterprise, they are paying my tow bill and 1st week of car rental.

They are going to pay the mechanic direct to rebuild the seals, rings, etc, replace all rubber; ie, timing belt, hoses, etc due to the oil.

So hopefully, we'll be through this ordeal soon and have another rebuilt motor to break in!

Whew!