88 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L Fuel Inj 6 cyl engine trouble (not a repost)

Old 06-02-04, 09:46 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Talking 88 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L Fuel Inj 6 cyl engine trouble (not a repost)

I posted a while back about my Jeep and it's sputtering issues. Well, I am back. The fule filter was replaced and did not resolve the issue. I am about to replace both the throttle position sensor as well as the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor. I am leaning towards thinking the Coolant Temp Sensor is the issue because the truck would always act up after it reached it's normal operating temp.

However, my question is new. Because I have not been able to get to the repair until now, the truck has sat for 4 - 5days and now will not start at all. It cranks but will not turn over. What do I do for a fuel injected vehicle to get it started?

Second question...are both the TPS and CTS both pretty much plug and play? I know I have to make sure that the TPS is intsalled so it can turn the appropriate direction but is there any calibration involved?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-04, 02:37 PM
Well I guess you could call it "plug and play" I don't think the tps is adjustable on that model.I would see if I was losing spark,fuel pressure(with a guage)and for injector pulse.Can a tps cause a no start?Yes it can but I've never replaced one for a no start since I started working on cars professionally in 1977.They didn't have them back then .The cts could cause but I would still check the basics first.

Old 06-02-04, 03:59 PM
You need to start doing more testing and less replacing. TPS and CTS's can easily be diagnosed with a scanner or DVOM. You need to find out what's missing, fuel pressure, injector pulse, spark or compression.

Old 06-03-04, 08:59 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Desi501
You need to start doing more testing and less replacing. TPS and CTS's can easily be diagnosed with a scanner or DVOM. You need to find out what's missing, fuel pressure, injector pulse, spark or compression.
Agreed, I have been just wasting time and money simply because I do not have the tools to correctly diagnose it. I just did not want to take it to a dealer to get tested. It is an 88.....they are going to tell me that I need one million and 1/2 things done to it. it runs clean, I don't want them fudging with things. Can I simply ask them to test it and let that be that? Will a dealer even touch a 16 yr old vehicle for testing purposes?