Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

A/C charging on chevy truck

Visiting Guest

06-02-04, 03:04 PM   #1  
MASTER Brian
A/C charging on chevy truck

I have a 92 Chevy C1500 with a 350. This past weekend the A/C went out, started squeeling badly. It's only $10 more for the complete compressor, so that's the route we are going vs. just changing out the compressor clutch.

The system has been converted to 134a already as well. I am not a mechanic, but am mechanically inclinded. I am going to going to change the compressor and have a friend who is an A/C repairman for the school district evacuate the system and do all that needs done on that end as well as recharge everything for me.

My question is, how many pounds of freon will that system hold and also how much oil needs to be installed?

While we are at it and if you know, I also have a suburban of the same year that has the rear air out and I plan on fixing that sometime after I get this other truck going. How much freon and oil will that system take?

Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links

06-02-04, 03:39 PM   #2  
Your fixin to get yourself into more headaches that your going to want. First of all, you don't have just a clutch problem, the compressor is starting to freeze up. It also sounds like your buying a remanufactured compressor. You'll really be sorry if you do that. Buy new and only new! Your also going to have to flush the system completely to get rid of all the pieces of compressor that went into the condenser. You need to change the oriface tube. Now you need to find out why the compresser let go in the first place. The most common reason is the fan not pulling enough air across the condenser because of a bad fan clutch. The condenser could be restricted beyond flushing. There are so many things that can go wrong here, it could cost you twice what a shop would charge you to do it right the first time. I've seen it happen many times with customers trying to repair their own A/C. It's not as "cut and dry" as it appears.

Search this Thread