95 Astro Van Stalling

Old 06-03-04, 09:32 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
95 Astro Van Stalling

any suggestions as to what maybe causing it. it shuts down when your waiting in traffic. it already has new plug wires spark plugs cap rotor. fuel filter and transmission fluid changed. any suggestions Don,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-04, 06:46 PM
Stalling

4.3L "W" engine?

Old 06-03-04, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Cabot
4.3L "W" engine?
That's probably a "Z" motor in that year but I'd clean the throttle body first. Have someone hold the throttle wide open while you scrub the back of the throttle plate and surrounding housing with an old tooth brush and carb cleaner. You may end up replacing the IAC, but try cleaning first.

Old 06-03-04, 07:32 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
its a Vortec Engine in there not sure of the W or Z. and yes it is a 4.3 have not yet dropped a 350 in it where is the throttle body located and the location for the iac. Don,

Old 06-04-04, 03:43 AM
A Vortec would be a "W" but it really doesn't matter. The throttle body is the thing that looks like a carbuerator. The IAC is a small round actuater held into the throttle body by 2 screws. That's most likely the culprit. Check for vacuum leaks while your down there.

Old 06-04-04, 08:08 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi is the IAC located in the same location on a 1988 astro. also how do i check for vacum leaks. Don,

Old 06-04-04, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by thekeymaker
Desi is the IAC located in the same location on a 1988 astro. also how do i check for vacum leaks. Don,
I really doubt it would be the same since I doubt it would have the same engine.
To check for vacuum leaks, first and foremost LISTEN closely for hissing noises. You can also get a can of spray carb cleaner and spray it at all the suspected places listening for the engine to suddenly change when you hit the right spot. Just be careful of flames.

Old 06-04-04, 09:55 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi thanks i'll keep a fire extingusher Handy but will a spray bottle of Water work the same as the carb cleaner. i found my repair books and the two iac's are both diffrent just have to find it now. Don,

Old 06-05-04, 11:01 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
ok just did a diagnosis on it came up with a Code 32 and i guess its a EGR. just wish it was something cheaper. Don,

Old 06-05-04, 02:03 PM
You may want to check fuel pressure before tossing an egr valve on the van.It's not very likely that the egr is causing a stalling problem while waiting at a stop light.I would suspect an iac as Desi said way before the egr.

Old 06-05-04, 02:34 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Davo how can i check the Fuel Pressure. and how can i be sure if it is the EGR or the IAC. Don,

Old 06-05-04, 03:23 PM
will a spray bottle of Water work the same as the carb cleaner.,
No, you have to use carb cleaner as the engine will run on it. The water can actually do damage if it sucks in too much.
I believe that probably uses a vacuum EGR and it would have to be stuck open to do this. I kinda doubt it. You can try tapping on the EGR to seat it but like Davo said, it's not real likely. A code 32 could mean many different things with the EGR system. It may not be working at all. That wouldn't cause stalling.

Old 06-05-04, 03:33 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
how can i be sure if the EGR is Properly working did not get to it at all today and the problem is getting worse can not even locate the IAC valve. Don,

Old 06-06-04, 09:00 AM
You will need a fuel pressure guage,the iac is where Desi said.Did you even clean the throttle body as Desi asked you to do.We ask you to do certain things to eliminate guesswork and you must do those before asking about other parts you feel are bad.Forget the egr valve it is not the problem if your symptoms are accurate.The iac has 4 wires going to it if it helps.

Old 06-06-04, 09:23 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
i can't even find my TBI this is not like the engine i have on my 1988. also theres a lot of things with 4 wires on. Don,

Old 06-06-04, 11:54 AM
McDann
Visiting Guest
10 to 1 says the EGR valve is stuck open. This engine uses an electronically controlled EGR valve, it is not vacuum operated. The code 32 refers to an improper pintle position. If you remove the EGR valve, I bet you'll find a piece carbon holding the pintle open which is allowing the recirculation of exhaust gas at idle. If you remove the air intake boot from the air cleaner box and the throttle body you will see a round device with a four wire connector mounted to the intake just under the throttle body, this is the EGR valve, remove it and inspect the underside of the valve.

Old 06-06-04, 12:26 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
McDann thanks if i can get to the EGR i'll try to knock it lightly with a Hammer to dislodge the carbon. Don,

Old 06-06-04, 12:58 PM
McDann
Visiting Guest
No donít hit it, remove it and check it. This valve uses very sensitive internal electronics and can easily be damaged.

Old 06-06-04, 01:08 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
i was only going to hit it lightly to dislodge the carbon in it. a mechanic suggested it to someone else. i know. Don,

Old 06-06-04, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't be smacking an electronic EGR valve. You seem to be way over your head here and at this point I would suggest paying for a diagnostic before you make things much worse. That seem to be where your heading.

Old 06-06-04, 04:43 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi a Diagnosis Has already been done on it. and the guy doing it said it is the EGR valve and is persistent on replacing only the EGR and not the IAC. Don,

Old 06-06-04, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
I wouldn't be smacking an electronic EGR valve. You seem to be way over your head here and at this point I would suggest paying for a diagnostic before you make things much worse. That seem to be where your heading.
Agreed, big time! I'd also suspect an IAC way before an EGR, especially since fuel integrator counts will also set the code 32. Even with that, checking it in the manner that McDann suggested is a simple operation, just leave out the hitting recommended by the "mechanic!" I'd also venture a guess that the EGR passages in the intake are pretty nasty with carbon by this time. Very simply put, find yourself a reputable pro. You need someone who can diagnose the problem with maybe a Tech1 vs. a BFH. BTW, the IAC should be just to the left and above the EGR valve. I'd venture a further guess, if you make it that far, that the pintles on neither the IAC nor EGR are seating properly.

Old 06-06-04, 05:19 PM
After you remove the air cleaner and the hose assembly look where the accelerator cable hooks to the side of the throttle body. The IAC Valve is almost right on top of the throttle body on the same side as the accelerator cable. Should be 2 10mm bolts holding it in. The EGR valve is directly below the throttle body and as was mentioned the EGR is an electronicly controlled valve and should never be "diagnosed" with a hammer.
The EGR valve has a flat 5 wire connector.
The problems you are experiencing are actually outlined in a recall as well as 4 other service bulletins.
Go to your local GM dealer and ask for a copy of recall number 98066. See if your vehicle has had this procedure and if not see if it is still available to you. It may just be the fix you need.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 06-06-04, 06:43 PM
Desi a Diagnosis Has already been done on it. and the guy doing it said it is the EGR valve and is persistent on replacing only the EGR and not the IAC. Don,
OK, change the EGR then.

Old 06-06-04, 06:49 PM
LOL Desi........

Is this the same guy who told you to smack it with a hammer??? I would not replace the EGR valve until you at least check to see if the recall will help your problems. These EGR valves are not cheap and you will be upset if it doesnt fix it.
Billy

Old 06-09-04, 07:56 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
billys68ss Desi is not the one who told me to hit it with a hammer. actully its supposed to be a Tap on a Vacum EGR the one i have is a electronic one. Mech already pulled the EGR off. bolts are in extremely tight. so tight one broke off tryed going to the autozone and checker for a IAC. both are out of them this van has almost 300 thousand miles on it engine still has a lot of pick up yet. will be doing more to van saturday changing antifreeze to the proper orange that it states to have in there. i'm not sure what color is in there now but looks nasty. BillyS68SS is there a way i can look that recall number up on the internet. or what did they do to fix it. Don,

Old 06-09-04, 08:13 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
here goes a site where people can research problems/recalls on their vehicles i have not yet found the one bill was referring to. Don, http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Old 06-09-04, 08:22 AM
Billy is referring to a TSB (Technical Service Bulliten). That is not the same as a recall and they are not public information. They are internal memos sent to dealers to advise of known problems, They are available through services like Alldata but not for free.

Old 06-09-04, 08:46 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
for 98066 is a pcm reprogramming i beleive how does one go about reprogramming the pcm. Don,

Old 06-09-04, 10:25 AM
Only the dealer and a very few auto electric shops have the capability to flash the PCM. The dealer may be your best bet. I really doubt an update is going to cure your stalling though.

Old 06-09-04, 12:00 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
now is it the IAC or a UpDate thats needed. Don,

Old 06-09-04, 01:19 PM
First... I did not say that Desi said to do that.... LOL....

The TSB is actually listed as a recall on Alldata. It is called a Special Policy Adjustment... Linear EGR System.
I can send you the recall in snail mail but Alldata does not allow copy and paste operations. You cant even highlight anything.
As Desi said the PCM reprogram can only be done at the dealer. I wouldnt expect an independent shop to keep up with the updates for such things. That can be very expensive.
As I said before you should try the dealer for that recall first before you throw parts at it. You may not need a EGR valve, but it is still possible and it is also possible that you could need an AIC in the end.
Billy

Old 06-09-04, 01:26 PM
now is it the IAC or a UpDate thats needed. Don,
I don't know!

Your the one that just asked about PCM programming.
I have no clue why either.
I'm giving up on this thread.

Your not listening to anything and just running us in circles.
It's all yours, Billy

Old 06-09-04, 09:32 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
i'm not trying to drive anyone in circles first i get told to replace the IAC. then i get told about the TSB Billy if you want e-mail me. i would like to check on that alldata thing you have but please e-mail me first. i'm still trying to find a place that has a IAC in Stock. i also have to return the EGR that was sold to me since it is a vacum one and not a electronic one. i got a good price on it less then $50.00 New. Don, P.S. Billy here is my e-mail Address [email protected]

Old 06-10-04, 06:24 PM
Don, PM me with your home address and I will gladly send you the bulletin. I am able to print the bulletin, but can not copy it into an email. Alldata does not allow that. You need proper diagnosis before installing parts. Just taking someones word regardless of who it is, Desi, me, your mechanic..... whomever,you should get someone competent to actually look at it before you spend any money on unnecessary repairs.
Billy

Old 06-11-04, 12:52 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Desi finally found a IAC. will be having it installed tomorrow along with a flush and fill and a oil change. Don, P.S. took the EGR back

Old 06-11-04, 06:29 PM
300k and it stalls sometimes at stoplights?Thanks for the added info.Perhaps a compression test would shed some light on the problem.Btw a reflash for the pcm for a problem of this nature would have been done well before this mileage.If your compression is low you can toss map sensor readings out the window.This is an example of why we ask for mileage,engine size,model,manufacturer and trans type.This is covered in the sticky, read this before posting.

Old 06-11-04, 06:46 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
i was figuring that thing with the pcm would of been done some time ago since the van is a 1995. talked with another mechanic tonight he was with me when it died and he said it seems like it might be a ECM. said it has to be electrical because of the way it died and then you restart it. Don,

Old 06-12-04, 01:59 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Follow Up i went with Desi's diagnosis it seemed to of helped. Mech said the toothbrush thing and cleaning out the Tbi was a Great Idea. Thanks to Evreyone who posted here. will try and check the other things posted. as well Don,