hello i need some help

Reply

  #1  
Old 06-03-04, 02:26 PM
Tresco
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
hello i need some help

hey can someone please help me out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey im doing a school project and i need some help...i have 12 customer complaints for diffrent cars...and problems to do with brakes and all...i need to research and find 5 possibles causes ..tools and equipment required to quick check the challenge..and saftey practices...the problem im havin diffculty on is findin the possible causes (has to be 5 or less) and the tools required...could anyone plz help me on this ....this is one of the questions i have

DISC BRAKES CHALLENGE

Customer Complaint: When im driving with the windows down, I can hear a noise coming from the front wheels.It's not really loud. It's just a constant squealing sound.

Customer Vehicle: Pontiac Bonneville

so now i have to find the possible causes... saftey practices (which is easy) and tools required for the job




thanks alot...i would really appreciate it ..if someone could help me..thanks again..

Tresco
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-03-04, 03:11 PM
GazzBC
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Hmm. Don't know much about GM, but one cause could be that the pads aren't fully retracting and are dragging on the rotor. The real question then is why aren't the pads retracting? One guess is that fluid is blowing by the seals in the master cylinder (no amount of bleeding would fix that). Also if the pucks get corroded or damaged, they can stick in the caliper and fail to retract (can't see that happening all that often, though). Maybe the incorrect pads are installed (pad material too thick to allow retraction from the rotor) or there's enough slop in the way they are secured in the caliper that they vibrate and squeal.

That's brakes. Uh...four possible causes to go.

Hmm. CV joint? Never heard one squeal, they click when they're dying.

Maybe it's a squirrel in the wheel (12 different squirrels).
 
  #3  
Old 06-03-04, 03:19 PM
Desi501's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boynton Beach Florida
Posts: 2,207
Originally Posted by GazzBC
Hmm. Don't know much about GM, but one cause could be that the pads aren't fully retracting and are dragging on the rotor. The real question then is why aren't the pads retracting? One guess is that fluid is blowing by the seals in the master cylinder (no amount of bleeding would fix that). Also if the pucks get corroded or damaged, they can stick in the caliper and fail to retract (can't see that happening all that often, though). Maybe the incorrect pads are installed (pad material too thick to allow retraction from the rotor) or there's enough slop in the way they are secured in the caliper that they vibrate and squeal.

That's brakes. Uh...four possible causes to go.

Hmm. CV joint? Never heard one squeal, they click when they're dying.

Maybe it's a squirrel in the wheel (12 different squirrels).
None of this is correct.......

How about,

The pads are worn out and the sensors are making contact?
(most likely)

The backing plate is touching the rotor somewhere

Glazed over pads with worn out hardware
 
  #4  
Old 06-03-04, 03:28 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by Desi501
None of this is correct.......

How about,

The pads are worn out and the sensors are making contact?
(most likely)

The backing plate is touching the rotor somewhere

Glazed over pads with worn out hardware
You beat me to it man... I guess I was too busy trying to figure out one: how the hell fluid blowing by seals in a master will cause a brake squeal (perhaps he was referring to the screech of crunching metal?) and two: what exactly is a "corroded puck?"
 
  #5  
Old 06-03-04, 04:15 PM
GazzBC
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
errr...okay, the obvious thing is that the pads are worn out and the wear tabs are rubbing on the rotor. So much for Occam's Razor. It's late and I need coffee.

Re: seals gone in the master cylinder. If they were toast, you would get (a) weak brakes and pedal that sinks to the floor and (b) pads that don't entirely retract.

Corroded puck: caliper pistons are also referred to as caliper pucks by a few people...maybe it's 'cause we're canadian and have hockey on the brain. In any case, I have experienced this firsthand both with my old 4runner and with my even older Cressida (maybe it's a Toyota thing?) The rubber boot around the pucks...er, pistons, were torn, allowing water and crud to eat away at the...pistons. After a while they stuck and wouldn't retract.
 
  #6  
Old 06-03-04, 05:07 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 312
Originally Posted by GazzBC
errr...okay, the obvious thing is that the pads are worn out and the wear tabs are rubbing on the rotor. So much for Occam's Razor. It's late and I need coffee.

Re: seals gone in the master cylinder. If they were toast, you would get (a) weak brakes and pedal that sinks to the floor and (b) pads that don't entirely retract.

Corroded puck: caliper pistons are also referred to as caliper pucks by a few people...maybe it's 'cause we're canadian and have hockey on the brain. In any case, I have experienced this firsthand both with my old 4runner and with my even older Cressida (maybe it's a Toyota thing?) The rubber boot around the pucks...er, pistons, were torn, allowing water and crud to eat away at the...pistons. After a while they stuck and wouldn't retract.
Well, I now officially know what a corroded puck is. FWIW, the one and only thing that retracts caliper pistons is the caliper seal. A worn out spring, corroded or blocked passages, or a misadjusted pushrod can all prevent fluid return to the mas. cyl., resulting in constant pressure at the wheels (same as bad flex hoses). Leaking or blown seals will have the exact opposite effect.
 
  #7  
Old 06-03-04, 06:06 PM
Desi501's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boynton Beach Florida
Posts: 2,207
Originally Posted by GazzBC
Corroded puck: caliper pistons are also referred to as caliper pucks by a few people...maybe it's 'cause we're canadian and have hockey on the brain. In any case, I have experienced this firsthand both with my old 4runner and with my even older Cressida (maybe it's a Toyota thing?) The rubber boot around the pucks...er, pistons, were torn, allowing water and crud to eat away at the...pistons. After a while they stuck and wouldn't retract.
Corroded puck, now that's a first for me (and the rest of the US)
If the scenerio you refer was to actually happen, the noise would be the least of your worries. The heat and smoke coming off the wheel and the severe pulling when the brakes are applied would be the giveaway.
 
  #8  
Old 06-04-04, 01:45 PM
Tresco
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
thanks for the help..i have some more questions...would anyone want to help me out...thanks alot again..i really do appricate the help..thanks
 
  #9  
Old 06-04-04, 02:19 PM
Desi501's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boynton Beach Florida
Posts: 2,207
Originally Posted by Tresco
thanks for the help..i have some more questions...would anyone want to help me out...thanks alot again..i really do appricate the help..thanks
Sure, just start another thread...don't duplicate it this time though.
 
  #10  
Old 06-04-04, 05:31 PM
Tresco
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
k thanks...this time ill post the question and the answers i have...and then could u jsut tell me if im right or wrong thanks
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 PM.