Voyager Radiator Fan Not Running

Old 06-04-04, 02:27 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Voyager Radiator Fan Not Running

93 Ply Grand Voyager SE 3.3L V6:

Today van started to overheat while parked. Had drove about 10 miles. Antifreeze level was fine. After cooled about an hour I drove it back home. Gauge stayed where it should all the way home. Left van running parked in driveway. It tried to over heat again. Radiator fan is not coming on. Tested fan, it is operational, just won't kick in.

This van's compressor won't engage either. No more A/C.

Could these 2 problems be related?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gary's_wife
This van's compressor won't engage either. No more A/C.

Could these 2 problems be related?
I'd have to look at a schematic to see if there was anything common to the 2 circuits but I doubt it. Your problem for the fan is likely the solid state relay they used on those things. They were junk and also mounted in a very hard to find spot. It should be bolted to the radiator support on the driver's side of the radiator. You may have to look from the bottom to locate it. It's hidden very well. I think it's about 2" square and about 1/2 inch thick. I'm not 100% positive but I believe they were used on that year.

Old 06-04-04, 06:28 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Thankyou for your advice. We will check that out first thing in the morning. Hopefully we can get it fixed tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, by the way, I checked to see if any codes had been set. It showed 12, 22, 33, & 55. Does that help any???

Thanks again!

Old 06-05-04, 07:49 AM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Update On Voyager Radiator Fan & A/C Not Working...Got Codes

Pulled codes on before posted 93 Ply Grand Voyager SE 3.3L problems:

codes: 12, 22, 33, & 55

As stated in last post about Plymouth, the radiator fan will not kick on and the compressor clutch will not engage.

Does codes help you all with a diagnosis??

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-05-04, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
12 - Battery or computer recently disconnected
22 - Coolant sensor signal out of range - May have been disconnected to set timing
33 - Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (may be in the wide-open-throttle cutoff circuit)
55 - End of codes

Old 06-05-04, 10:51 AM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tow Guy

[QUOTE]
33 - Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (may be in the wide-open-throttle cutoff circuit)
[QUOTE]

What does that mean????

We went to a shop the guy said it is one of three things. He said A/C relay, High pressure switch, or fuse.
We bought AC42 relay. Installed it and compressor still won't engage. Looked in fuse panel and can't even find a fuse for A/C.
Is there any way to test the high pressure switch?

R134 level showing high on gauge.

The guy checked our coolant temperature sensor since radiator fan won't run. He said it was okay.

2 problems..........no cures

Old 06-05-04, 10:56 AM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Desi we couldn't find the relay you referred to. Took fan off, got under van and everything still didn't see what you described. What would be the next course of action??

Old 06-05-04, 12:27 PM
I merged your threads together

Please use the reply button to keep all the info in the same thread for continuity

Old 06-05-04, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Gary's_wife
Desi we couldn't find the relay you referred to. Took fan off, got under van and everything still didn't see what you described. What would be the next course of action??
I don't know what to tell you. Your really over your head here. Someone's going to have to follow a schematic and trace the circuit. I think it's time to give it to a tech before you just start throwing parts at it.

Old 06-05-04, 05:10 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Yeah I am going to try to find a reputable, reasonable shop and get an estimate on repair.

Due my past dealings with our local dealership I am very skittish of all shops. $1800 for everything from fuel pump to new battery and they never did fix my problem. I had to park van for a year because I didn't have any more cash to sink into it. Then someone in this forum told me I needed a sensor which was $55. I followed his advice and my van has run wonderfully for probably 2 yrs. now. That is why I came here first. If I would have came here first last time I could've saved $1800 and a year with no vehicle.

So it was worth a shot

Thanks guys!

Oh by the way I did get a schematic of van and did see some common factors butI wasn't sure about a lot of it.

Old 06-06-04, 05:50 PM
On your van the relays for the fans are along the inside of the left fender. There are 6 or 7 relays along that side depending on the options on your vehicle. There is a high speed fan relay and a low speed fan relay.
Most of those codes you read are most likely due to the overheating condition. If your fans arent working then your A/C wont work properly. You may have other problems with the A/C but you should get the fans working right first.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 06-07-04, 04:16 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much billys68ss We'll try those. One question:some of those relays look the same. Are they interchangable or do you have to buy for the specific part?

Old 05-20-06, 05:31 PM
Gary's wife

I have a 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE 3.3 liter and the air conditioning fans stopped working and made it over heat. The check engine light came on and we put it on the computer it was the air conditioning relay that was bad. The thing is located right under the left head light you have to take out the air filter and it is in between the inside and outside frames right under the left head light. When you replace it that should stop that problem. The relay will cost $46.00.

Old 05-21-06, 06:20 AM
Those relays are not interchangeable. They look the same but are molded differently to keep them from being switched. The connector is different. I believe the connector for your fan should be gray in color, but dont quote me on that.

SweetQTpie12... Your van is much different. On Garys Wife's van the relay is a standard relay design. On your van the relay is a solid state relay and has no actual moving parts. There was a bulletin out several years ago about those relays and they have been updated due to problems.
Billy