Jeep.. Doesn't run right in cooler weather? Why?

Old 06-04-04, 09:39 PM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Jeep.. Doesn't run right in cooler weather? Why?

A little more info to previous post about Jeep:

85 Jeep Cherokee Chief 2.5L 4 cyclinder

Jeep runs very poorly at temperatures below 65 degrees. It misses and splutters awful. When outside temperature is 75 degrees or above it runs great.

Have to warm it up in the morning 10-15 minutes before leaving for work. Which I think is unusal for summertime weather!

If it is warm all day I don't have to let it warm up after work. However if it has been a cool day I need to let it sit and warm up.

Seems to be getting worse.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-04, 09:51 PM
sounds like a carb problem possibly with the choke or choke pulloff or even a weak accelerator pump does it blow black smoke when its running bad, how does it start do you just have to pump the gas once?

Old 06-05-04, 06:21 AM
Gary's_wife
Visiting Guest
Yes it does blow black smoke when its running poorly. One or two pumps of the accelerater gets it going during spring - fall. In winter a few extra pumps.

Would temperature affect a electronic regulater if it was going bad? They click and make such loud noises I can hear them over the sound of the running engine. Is that normal? When they warm up and stop making the noises, the engine runs fine. When they stop clicking the motor instantly runs good. I am not sure if this could be the cause or if they are trying to make up for the poor running of the carb. Opinion? I don't know anything about these regulators so they have me baffled.