1997 nissan xe truck

Old 06-05-04, 06:50 AM
1997 nissan xe truck

hi guys,i have a 1997 2.4 motor,standard trans.i'm in the process of putting in a clutch kit and am now at the starter.i've got the lower starter bolt out but now am stuck with getting the top bolt out.i can't reach my arm around the trans and if you go atop the motor trying to reach it you can't even see the starter bolt.i tried different times trying to reach different areas and am now stuck. i think if i take off the front tire i can reach it,but was wanting advice before i take the tire off for nothing.anyone had any expierence on this?? would be appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-04, 06:22 PM
This should not be that difficult of a tsk, but if it is tight you may need to use a universal (wobble) socket and a long extension. I can relate as my hands and arms are too big to get to bolts way up high in the tunnel sometimes. Another suggestion would be to remove the trans mount or crossmember and lower the tranny on a jack so you can get your hands up there.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 06-06-04, 06:40 PM
got that accomplished

thanks now prob 2.when putting back in the transmission i noticed there was a wiring harness hanging and i don't remember seeing it when i unhooked all the harnesses on the transmission.it has a harness that joins another harness and then the other end of it goes into something cause the end of it is copper and it looks like a copper wiring also.is there a wiring diagram that i can look at? all i like now is to fill it up with gear oil and get the air out the cylinder.any ideas would be appreciated. thanks again. if it runs ok and i can't find where it goes i'll take it to a transmisssion shop. thanks again.

Old 06-06-04, 06:45 PM
Cant tell you where that wire might go. Best thing to do is to just look everything over real good to make sure you havent missed anything.
Billy