anti lock brake light

Old 06-05-04, 02:56 PM
ruglayer1960
Visiting Guest
anti lock brake light

i just replaced the rear disc pads and rotors on my 2000 bonneville. now the anti-lock brake light is on. i double checked all the sensor connections and they are ok. any idea where my new problem is? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-04, 03:15 PM
You either damaged the sensor on one of the wheels or you bought the wrong rotors and don't have an exciter ring. I assume the brake fluid is full and the regular brake light is not on.

Old 06-05-04, 03:23 PM
ruglayer1960
Visiting Guest
i just checked the old rotor, what does an exciter ring look like?? the old one looks the same as the new one. thanks again

Old 06-05-04, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by ruglayer1960
, what does an exciter ring look like??
There will be a ring either on the rotor or the hub with either fins or holes for the sensor to count. If its misaligned or broken, it would give you a problem but let me ask, is this light coming on before the car is moved? Because if it is, the ring is not to blame. The system is finding a fault with the electrical system before the wheel even turns. Your going to have to have the code read to have any idea where the problem is coming from. I would just highly suspect the area you just worked on.

Old 06-05-04, 03:40 PM
ruglayer1960
Visiting Guest
light is on before moving the car. i'll have to get back under there and recheck those sensor connections. thanks

Old 06-05-04, 03:44 PM
Look close at the sensor itself. You may have pryed against it and broke it.

Old 06-06-04, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking the sensor and ring both are part of the hub & bearing assembly on that car. I know the ring is, but I may be wrong on the sensor itself, could be a seperate unit coming in from the backside of the hub. The sensor is magnetic, it could be as simple as the face of it being covered with rust and such from removing the rotor(s). Even a little rust/metal shavings can interfere with the signal. If the sensor is integral with the hub, that scenario is unlikely. Unless, as Desi suggested, the exciter ring or sensor were somehow damaged. A few additional questions: How did you bottom the caliper pistons? Did you have the bleeders open? Is the pedal good?