2000 Ford Taurus SE - Something Bizzarre "a'goin" on.

Old 06-05-04, 09:38 PM
kevinranders
Visiting Guest
2000 Ford Taurus SE - Something Bizzarre "a'goin" on.

I have, what to me, is a bizzare situation with my vehicle. It is a V6 Single overhead with Auto. transmission. Just for the record I have already replaced the alternator. For the past couple of weeks the car, while running in normal operation, seems to cut completely off and turn back on in the matter of seconds. Then a few days ago I ran into a fast food joint to get something to eat, came back out and the car would not start. After 10 minutes of confusion and stress the car started normally. Then yesterday I was driving home from work and was sitting at a stoplight and the car just died. I turned the key off and then turned it back on and the car started right up again. Any clues or suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Another situation, perhaps coincidental and not related is the light that coincides with my gas gauge is not working. However, all other lights within the cluster are working normally except for the gas gauge on the far left of the cluster.

Any help, advice, witty repertoire would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kevinranders; 06-05-04 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-04, 02:40 AM
Unfortunately what's happening to you is no so unususal or bizarre but can come from many different causes. The only was to troubleshoot this problem is to be able to test a couple of things while it is dead. You need to test for spark, injecter pulse and fuel pressure and the time when it won't start. I know this won't be easy to do and requires some special tools be ready to go when it dies but welcome to our world.....lol Once we know what is dropping out, we'll be able to narrow it down a lot.

Old 06-06-04, 02:44 AM
Were you having this problem prior to the alternator replacement? If not, I would suggest that you double-check your alternator connections, as well as your battery connection. (I assume you disconnected the battery prior to the alternator work.) Next item that comes to mind is the possibility of a deffective ignition switch.

Old 06-06-04, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by thiggy
Next item that comes to mind is the possibility of a deffective ignition switch.
Only if all the dash lights and accessories are going out at the same time the engine dies.

Old 06-06-04, 08:35 AM
kevinranders
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys....

The occurrences where happening before the replacement of the alternator. I had the battery connection checked and then the alternator and learned that I did in fact need a new alternator. This morning the check engine light came on.....so my next course of action seems to be to get the codes checked. THe light on the dash (the gas gauge light) is the only light that goes out and that is under normal operating conditions. When the car does die and re-start itself it is in the matter of about 30 seconds unless it dies during idle or a re-start.

Doesn't auto zone read the codes for free?

Old 06-06-04, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by kevinranders
Thanks guys....

Doesn't auto zone read the codes for free?
Yes, and I agree you should have them read but I doubt it's connected with your intermittant dieing problem.

Old 06-08-04, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds more like fuel filter/fuel pump to me, but don't go replacing anything before checking fuel pressure (although a filter change would be standard preventive maintenance anyway).